Immunohistochemical localization of growth hormone-releasing hormone in human gonads
Human gonads were examined for the presence of ir growth hormone-releasing-hormone. We demonstrated the presence of immu-nostainable cells both in ovarian and in testicular tissue using a non-crossreactive antiGRH antiserum and the immunoperoxidase detection technique. In ovaries from ovulating women, GRH immunoreactivity was localized in the corpórea lutea; granulosa cells, theca cells and cells of primary follicles did not stain. In premenopausal ovaries, staining was detectable in scattered luteinized stromal cells. In testes from post-puberal men GRH immunoreactivity was localized in the Leyding cells; cells of the germinal epithelium did not stain. These results demonstrate the presence of GRH in human gonads and suggest that this peptide may exert regulatory function at the testicular and ovarian levels.
Key-wordsGRH testis ovary
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Morley J.M., Meyer N., Pekary A.E., Melmed S., Carlton H.E., Briggs J.E., Hershman J.M. A prolactin inhibitory factor with immunocharacteristics similar to thyrotropin releasing factor (TRH) is present in rat pituitary tumors (GH3 and W5), testicular tissue and a plant material, alfalfa. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 96: 47, 1980.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Thorner M.O., Vance M.L., Evans W.S., Ho K., Rogol A.D., Blizzard R.M., Furlanetto R., Rivier L., Vale W. Growth hormone-releasing factor and somatomedin-C production: extra-hypothalamic localization and possible functional significance. Acta Endocrinol. (Copenh.) 276 (Suppl): 34, 1986.Google Scholar
- 14.Fraioli F., Fabbri A., Gnessi L., Silvestroni L., Moretti C., Redi F., Isidori A. Beta-endorphin, met-enkephalin and calcitonin in human semen: evidence for a possible role in human sperm motility. Ann. NY Acad. Sci. 438: 364, 1983.Google Scholar
- 15.Schulze W., Davidoff M.S., Holstein A.F. Are Leydig cells of neural origin? Substance P-like immunoreactivity in human testicular tissue. Acta Endocrinol. (Copenh) 115: 337, 1987.Google Scholar
- 17.Baxter R.C., Martin J.L., Handelsman D.J. Identification of human semen insulin-like growth factor l/somatomedin-C immunoreactivity and binding protein. Acta Endocrinol. (Copenh) 106: 420, 1984.Google Scholar
- 20.Moretti C., Fabbri A., Gnessi L., Fomi L., Fraioli F., Frajese G. GHRH stimulates follicular growth and amplifies FSH-induced ovarian folliculogenesis in women with anovulatory infertility. Reproductive Medicine: Medical Therapy In: G. Frajese, E. Steinberg, LJ. Rodriguez-Rigau (Eds.), Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on Reproductive Medicine, Fiuggi, Italy. Elsevier Science Publishers 875:103, 1989.Google Scholar