Erythrocyte and platelet fatty acids in retinitis pigmentosa
- 6 Downloads
The fatty acid composition and the glutathione-peroxidase activity (GSH-Px) of erythrocytes and platelets, the production of malondialdehyde (MDA) by platelets and the activity of the main systems of transmembrane cation transport in erythrocyte have been studied in 12 patients (5 males and 7 females) affected by retinitis pigmentosa (RP). A remarkable increase of saturated fatty acids (SFA), particularly of stearic acid (C18:0), has been noted in these patients. The reduced unsaturated/saturated fatty acids ratio (PUFA/SFA) observed in both erythrocytes and platelets and the decrease of arachidonic acid in platelets may depend by an active peroxidation process as documented by the increase of MDA. Platelet glutathione-peroxidase (PTL-GSH-PX) and plasma retinol were in the normal range, whereas erythrocyte glutathione-peroxidase (E-GSH-PX), MDA and plasma alfa-tocopherol were increased in patients with RP. The activities of Na+-K+ pump, cotransport and Na+-Li+countertransport were normal in RP erythrocytes.
Key-wordsMembrane erythrocyte platelet fatty acid glutathione-peroxidase malondialdehyde alpha-tocoferol retinol cation transport retinitis pigmentosa
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bell J. Retinitis pigmentosa and allied disorders. In: Pearson K. (Ed.), Treasury of human inheritance, Cambridge University Press, London,. 1922, p. 1.Google Scholar
- 2.McKusick V.A. Mendelian inheritance in man: catalogs of autosomal dominant autosomal recessive and X-linked phenotypes, ed 5. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 1978.Google Scholar
- 3.Botermans C.H.G. Primary pigmentary degeneration and its association with neurological diseases. In: Vinken P.J., Bruyn G.W., (Eds.) Neuroretinal degenerations: handbook of clinical neurology. American Elsevier, New York, 1972, p. 148.Google Scholar
- 5.La Vail M.M. Analysis of neurological mutants with inherited retinal degeneration. Friedenwald lecture. Invest. Ophthalmol Visual Sci. 21: 638, 1981.Google Scholar
- 15.Bartlell G.R. Phosphorous assay In column chromatography. J. Biol. Chem. 234: 466, 1959.Google Scholar