Effect of insulin treatment on osteocalcin levels in diabetic children and adolescents
- 10 Downloads
To investigate bone mineral metabolism in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus, serum osteocalcin, a marker of bone formation, was measured in 31 diabetic children at onset of disease and 15 days after metabolic improvement by insulin therapy. As a control group for osteocalcin levels we studied 31 healthy sex- and age-matched children. Mean values of serum osteocalcin at onset of diabetes were significantly lower than in control group (p<0.001), but we did not find any difference after 15 days of insulin therapy. Osteocalcin and parathyroid hormone concentrations were significantly greater after 15 days of insulin treatment than at onset of disease (p<0.001 and p<0.01, respectively). The osteocalcin levels were negatively correlated both with fructosamine and with glycosylated hemoglobin (p<0.01 and p<0.001, respectively), and positively correlated with the degree of metabolic acidosis at onset (p<0.05). Therefore we postulate that during glycometabolic imbalance there is a decrease in bone turnover that could be one of the etiological factors of diabetic osteopenia.
Key-wordsOsteocalcin insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus osteopenia parathyroid hormone children adolescents
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.McNair P., Madsbad S., Christensen M.S., Christiansen C., Faber O.K., Binder C., Transbøl I. Bone mineral loss in insulin-treated diabetes mellitus: studies on pathogenesis. Acta Endocrinol. (Coenh.) 90: 463, 1978.Google Scholar
- 15.Hishida H., Seino Y., Taminato T., Usami M., Takeshita N., Seino Y., Tsutsumi C., Moriuchi S., Akiyama Y., Hara K., Imura H. Circulating levels and bone contents of bone gamma-carboxyglutamic acid-containing protein are decreased in streptozocin-induced diabetes-possible marker for diabetic osteopenia. Diabetes. 37: 702, 1988.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Ishida H., Seino Y., Tsuda K., Takemura J., Nishi S., Ishizuka S., Imura H. Effects of streptozotocin-induced diabetes on circulating levels of vitamin D metabolites. Acta Endocrinol. (Copenh.) 104: 96, 1983.Google Scholar
- 26.Weber G., Pradella C., Rimoldi R., Proverbio M.C. Study of calcium homeostasis in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus at onset. In: Chiumello G., Sperling M. (Eds), Recent progress in pediatric endocrinology. Raven Press, New York, 1983, p. 61.Google Scholar
- 27.Mc Nair P., Christensen M.S., Madsbad S., Christiansen C., Transbøl I. Hypoparathyroidism in diabetes mellitus. Acta Endocrinol. (Copenh.) 96: 81, 1981.Google Scholar