Traumatic hypopituitarism due to maternal uterine leiomyomas
- 20 Downloads
Hypopituitarism has been associated with different types of head trauma including traumatic delivery. We report a case of hypopituitarism in a boy with a history of induced traumatic labor associated with maternal uterine leiomyomas. He also had head and face deformations that were apparently caused by spatial restriction due to the enlarging leiomyomas while the patient was growing in utero. Trauma to the pituitary stalk could have occurred by cerebral entrapment and the pressures of labor. Although hypopituitarism has been associated with traumatic delivery and breech delivery, there are no reported cases related to uterine leiomyomas.
Key-wordsLeiomyomas hypopituitarism abnormal delivery trauma invisible pituitary stalk
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Gnehm H.E., Bernasconi S., Zachmann M. Post-traumatic anterior pituitary insufficiency in childhood. Acta Paediatr. Helv. 1979, 34: 529–535.Google Scholar
- 11.Heinrich J.J., Martinez A.S., Bergada C. Etiology and association of growth hormone deficiency. Acta Endocrinol. Suppl. 1986, 279: 113–117.Google Scholar
- 12.Bierich J.R. On the aetiology of hypopituitary dwarfism. In: Pecile A., Muller E.E. (Eds.), Growth and growth hormone. Proceedings of the Second International Sympomium on Growth Hormone. Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam, 1972, p. 408.Google Scholar
- 13.Job J.C., Lejeune C., Canlorbe P., Rossier A. Le nanisme par insuffisance hypophysaire sporadique idiopathique. Etude d’une serie de 31 cas. Arch. Franç. Péd. 1972, 329: 117–134.Google Scholar
- 21.Foley T.P., Owings J., Hayford J.T., Blizzard R.M. Serum thyrotropin responses to synthetic thyrotropin-releasing hormone in normal children and hypopituitary patients: a new test to distinguish primary releasing hormone deficiency from primary pituitary hormone deficiency. J. Clin. Invest. 1972, 51: 431–437.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Alexopoulos K.A. The importance of breech delivery in the pathogenesis of brain damage. Clin. Pediatr. 1973, 12: 248–249.Google Scholar
- 24.Ingermarsson I., Westgren M., Svenningsen N. Long-term follow up of pre-term infants in breech presentation delivered by caesarean section. Dan. Med. Bull. 1979, 26:141–142.Google Scholar
- 28.Fujisawa I., Kikuchi K., Nishimura K., Togashi K., Ithoh K., Noma S., Minami S., Sagoh T., Hiraoka T., Momoi T., Mikawa H., Nakano Y., Itoh H., Konishi J. Transection of the pituitary stalk: Development of an ectopic posterior lobe assessed with MRI imaging. Radiology 1987, 165: 487–489.PubMedGoogle Scholar