Morphology of FRTL-5 cell colonies in a semi-solid medium
- 20 Downloads
For the first time, 3, 7 and 10 days growth of normal thyroid follicular FRTL-5 cell colonies in a semi-solid medium of 0.6% methocel over 1% agar base was morphometrically analyzed. It was found that the areas of FRTL-5 colonies as well as their perimeters and maximum diameters increased, while according to their form factors the FRTL-5 colonies were regular in shape. After 10 days in a semi-solid medium, 83% of the FRTL-5 colonies had maximum diameters greater than 50 gMm. It is obvious that after long culturing of FRTL-5 cells under the influence of the pituitary thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) these cells are not uniform anymore and that they grow in a semi-solid medium.
Key-wordsFRTL-5 cell colonies methocel morphometry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Hashimura T., Kanamaru H., Yoshida O. Soft agar formation of bladder cells during carcinogenesis induced by N-butyl-N-(4-hydroxybutyl)nitrosamine and application to detection of bladder cancer promoters. Jpn. J. Cancer Res. (Gann) 1987, 78: 473–479.Google Scholar
- 15.Freshney R.I. Culture of animal cells: A manual of basic technique, ed. 3. John Wiley & Sons, New York, Chichester, Brisbane, Toronto, Singapore, 1994, pp. 166–169.Google Scholar
- 19.Ambesi-Impiombato F.S., Perrild H. FRTL-5 today. Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam, New York, Oxford, 1989, p. 286.Google Scholar
- 20.Ambesi-Impiombato F.S., Villone G. The FRTL-5 thyroid cell strain as a model for studies on thyroid cell growth. Acta Endocrinol. (Copenh) Suppl. 1987, 281: 242–246.Google Scholar
- 21.Pajer Z., Cör A., Stiblar-Martincic D. Long-term effect of thyrotropin on FRTL-5 cells. Proc. 3rd Inter. Confer., Life Sciences 1996, Gozd Martuljek, Slovenia, 25–26, 1996.Google Scholar
- 22.Pajer Z. Growth of FRTL-5 and MCF-7 cells in semi-solid medium. Proc. 3rd Inter. Confer., Life Sciences 1996, Gozd Martuljek, Slovenia, 27–28, 1996.Google Scholar
- 23.Macpherson I. Soft agar techniques. In: Kruse P.F., Patterson M. (Eds.), Tissue culture: Methods and applications. Academic Press, New York, London, 1993, p. 276–280.Google Scholar