The Introduction of Nutrition Education into the Medical School Curriculum: Using an Elective Course to Teach Students the Fundamentals, the Science, and the Clinical Implications of Food
- 50 Downloads
In an effort to address the lack of formal nutrition education at the University of Texas Health Science Center School of Medicine at San Antonio, two second year medical students with training in nutritional sciences and public health designed an elective course in 2011 to teach other medical students about fundamental concepts in nutrition. The course consisted of five interactive classes during which students participated in lectures and discussions. A total of 30 medical students completed the course during the 2011–2012 academic school year; they provided feedback through voluntary completion of surveys. Based on the data collected, 70% of students stated that they learned new information from the course, and 100% of students would recommend the class to peers. While students reported benefiting most from the interactive aspects of the course such as potluck dinners and group discussions, 75% also suggested that future courses should be based more on scientific evidence.
KeywordsApplied Predictive Diagnostic Simple Inexpensive
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bantle, JP, Wylie-Rosett, J, Albright, AL, Apovian, CM, Clark, NG, Franz, MJ, Hoogwerf, BJ, Lichtenstein, AH, Mayer-Davis, E, Mooradian, AD, Wheeler, ML. Nutrition recommendations and interventions for diabetes: a position statement of the American Diabetes Association Diabetes Care. 2008; 31(Suppl 1):S61–78.Google Scholar
- 3.Committee on Nutrition in Medical Education, Food and Nutrition Board, National Research Council. Nutrition education in U.S. medical schools National Academy Press. 1985.Google Scholar
- 4.LCME Connections Educational Program for the MD Degree (ED). http://www.lcme.org/connections/connections-2012-2013/ED-10_2012-2013.htm [Accessed Janua ry 5, 2013]
- 5.Hark, LA, Iwamoto, C, Melnick, DE, Young, EA, Morgan, SL, Kishner, R, Hensrud, DD. Nutrition coverage on medical licensing examinations in the United States Am J Clin Nutr. 1997;65(2):568–71.Google Scholar
- 6.Nutrition Academic Award National Site at the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/funding/training/naa/index.htm [Accessed August 19, 2012]
- 7.Nutrition in Medicine. http://www.nutritioninmedicine.net/ [Accessed August 19, 2012]
- 10.UT Health Science Center School of Medicine Curricular Objectives and Competencies of the Educational Program for the M.D. degree. http://som.uthscsa.edu/ume/objectives.asp [Accessed January 6, 2013]