Differential dynamic responses of luteinizing hormone to gonadotropin releasing hormone in patients affected by bulimia nervosa-purging versus non-purging type
- 10 Downloads
Objective: Aim of the study was to investigate the presence of underlying abnor malities affecting the hypothalamus-pituitary-gonadal axis in 13 normal weight eumenhorreic bulimics as expressed by a different gonadotropin response to gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH), comparing patients with (n= 6) and without (n= 7) purging behaviours to controls (n= 5) Method: Subjects were administered an intravenous GnRH infusion for four hours, with an additional bolus at first and third hour. Results: Non-purging bulimics showed a significantly reduced luteinizing hormone (LH) response to GnRH compared to controls; purging bulimics following the second bolus, demonstrated a statistically reduced peak, in comparison to both controls and non-purging bulimics. Discussion: even in the absence of overt menstrual distur bances, an altered LH secretion elicited by pulsatile stimulation of endogenous GnRH was found, with a more severe impairment in purging than in non-purging bulimics, possibly related to their greater psychopathological and physical burden.
Key wordsBulimia nervosa-purging LH GnRH
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Russell G.F.M.: Bulimia Nervosa: an ominous variant of Anorexia Nervosa. Psychol. Med., 52, 187–190, 1979.Google Scholar
- 2.American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th ed., Washington DC, American Psychiatric Association, 1994.Google Scholar
- 6.Pirke K.M., Schweiger U., Fichter M.M.: Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Ovarian Axis Function in Bulimia. In: Hudson J., Pope H.G. (Eds.), The Psychobiology of Bulimia. Washington, American Psychiatric Press, 1987.Google Scholar
- 7.Dally P.J.: Anorexia Nervosa. New York, Grune & Stratton, 1969.Google Scholar
- 8.Sherman B.M., Halmi K.A.: Effect of nutritional rehabilitation on hypothalamic-pituitary function in Anorexia Nervosa. In: Vigersky R. (Ed.), Anorexia Nervosa. New York, Raven Press, 1977.Google Scholar
- 20.Davis C.J., Williamson D.A., Goreczny T.: Body image distortion in bulimia: an important distinction between binge-purgers and binge-eaters. Paper presented at the annual convention of the Association for the Advancement of Behavior Therapy, Chicago, 1986.Google Scholar
- 21.Duchman E.G., Williamson D.A., Strickler P.M.: Dietary restraint and bulimia. Paper presented at the annual convention of the Association for the Advancement of Behavior Therapy, Chicago, 1986.Google Scholar