Pollution reduction and biodegradability index improvement of tannery effluents
- 76 Downloads
Al2 (SO4)3, 18H2O, FeCl3 and Ca (OH)2 were used for the treatment of tannery wastewaters. The influences of pH and coagulant dosages were studied. Conditions were optimised according to the pollutant removal efficiencies, the volume of decanted sludge and the biodegradability index improvement. The results indicate that 67–71% of total COD, 76–92% of color and 79–97% of Cr can be removed using the optimum coagulant dosages at the optimum pH range. Al2 (SO4)3, 18H2O and Ca (OH)2 produced better results than FeCl3 in terms of COD, color and Cr removal as well as in terms of biodegradability improvement. Moreover, Al2 (SO4)3, 18H2O and FeCl3 produced the least amount of sludges for a given amounts of COD, color and Cr removed in comparison with Ca (OH)2. Al2 (SO4)3, 18H2O seems to be suitable for yielding high pollutant removals and corresponding low volumes of decanted sludges in addition to improving wastewaters biodegradability index.
KeywordsTannery wastewater coagulation sludges production biodegradability index
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- AFNOR (1999). Techniques, la qualité de l’eau, Association Française de Normalisation.Google Scholar
- Eaton, A. D.; Clescen, L. S.; Greenberg, A. E., (1995). Stetard methods for the examination of water and wastewater. APHA.19th. Ed. ln: Editted by Washington: APM, setts. Report # 331.Google Scholar
- Florence, T. M.; Bately, G. E., (1980). Chemical speciation in natural waters. CRC Cr. Rev. Anal. Chem., 9, 219–296.Google Scholar
- James, C. R.; O’melia, C. R., (1982). Considering sludges production in the selection of coagulants. J. Am. Water Works Ass., 74, 148–151.Google Scholar
- Letterman, R. D.; Driscoll, C. T., (1988). Survey of residual aluminum in filtered water. J. Am. Water Works Ass., 80, 154–158.Google Scholar
- Metcalf and Eddy, (1985). Wastewater Engineering: Treatment, Disposal and Reuse, 3rd. Ed. McGraw-Hill Inc., New York, USA.Google Scholar
- Olthof, M.; Eckenfelder, W. W., (1976). Coagulation of textile wastewater. Text. Chem. Color, 8, 18–22.Google Scholar
- Orhon, D.; Sgzen, S.; Ubay Cokgsr, E.; Ates, E., (1998). The effect of chemical settling on the kinetics and design of activated sludges for tannery wastewater. IAWQ 19th. Biennial International Conference.Google Scholar
- Ros, M.; Gantar, A., (1998). Possibilities of reduction of recipient loading of tannery wastewater in Slovenia. Water Sci. Tech., 37, 145–152.Google Scholar