Correlates of D-dimer in older persons
- 39 Downloads
Background and aims: D-dimer is a marker of active fibrinolysis. Understanding how age-related factors affect D-dimer levels may help the interpretation of high D-dimer levels in older individuals. Methods: 776 Baltimore Longitudinal Study on Aging (BLSA) participants (mean age 68.4±13.9 yrs) were divided into three groups according to baseline D-dimer levels >200 ng/mL; 100–200 ng/mL and <100 ng/mL. Results: D-dimer level increased with age (p<0.0001). Using polychotomous logistic regression models, we found that age, cholesterol, triglycerides, creatinine, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, hemoglobin and body mass index were independently associated with D-dimer level. Conclusions: Rising levels of D-dimer with age can be explained in part by the high prevalence of pro-inflammatory conditions and increasing burden of lipid abnormalities, anemia and obesity. These factors compromise the specificity of D-dimer levels as a diagnostic aid to thrombosis in older individuals.
KeywordsD-dimer inflammation obesity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Michiels JJ, Palareti G, de Moerloose P (eds). Fibrin D-dimer testing for venous and arterial thrombotic disease. Semin Vasc Med. 2005; 5: 311–34.Google Scholar
- 4.Al-Zahrani H, Lowe GD, Fowkes FG, Douglas JT et al. Increased fibrin turnover in peripheral arterial disease: comparison with a population study. Clin Hemorheol 1992; 12: 867–72.Google Scholar
- 5.Giansante C, Fiotti N, Cattin L, Da Col PG, Calabrese S. Fibrinogen. D-dimer and thrombin-antithrombin complexes in a random population sample: relationships with other cardiovascular risk factors. Thromb Haemost 1994; 71: 581–6.Google Scholar
- 6.Shock NW, Gruelich RC, Andres RA et al. The Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office, 1984.Google Scholar
- 9.Takefumi M, Hiroko K, Kazuomi K, Shunji S. Fibrin D-Dimer in thrombogenic disorders. Semin Thromb Hemost 2000; 26 (1).Google Scholar
- 11.Reid D. The clinical role of fibrinogen and fibrin in peripheral arterial disease. MD Thesis, University of Glasgow, 1991.Google Scholar
- 12.Dacie JV, Lewis SM. Miscellaneous tests. In Dacie JV, Lewis SM, eds. Practical Haematology. London Churchill Livingstone 1995: 559–74.Google Scholar
- 17.Lowe GD. Fibrinogen. A cardiovascular risk factor, 2nd ed. Mannheim: Boehringer Mannheim, 1997.Google Scholar