Nonsingular Attitude Filtering Using Modified Rodrigues Parameters
- 259 Downloads
A method to estimate the general rigid body attitude using a minimal modified Rodrigues parameters (MRP) coordinate set is presented. The singularity avoidance technique is based on the stereographic projection properties of the MRP set, and makes use of a simple mapping relationship between MRP representations. Previous work has used the MRP duality to avoid singular attitude descriptions but has ignored the associated covariance transformation. This article presents a mapping to transform the state covariance matrix between these two representations as the attitude description is mapped between the two possible MRP sets. Second-order covariance transformations suitable for divided difference filtering are also provided. The MRP filter formulation based on extended Kalman filtering and divided difference filtering is compared with a standard multiplicative quaternion Kalman filter in an example problem.
KeywordsKalman Filter Mapping Relationship Aerospace Technology State Covariance Stereographic Projection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Zanetti, R. And Bishop, R. “Quaternion Estimation and Norm Constrained Kalman Filtering,” presented as paper AIAA 2006-6164 at the 2006 AAS/AIAA Space Flight Mechanics Conference, August 2006.Google Scholar
- Majji, M. and Mortari, D. “Quaternion Constrained Kalman Filter,” presented as paper AAS 08-215 at the 2008 AAS/AIAA Astrodynamics Specialist Conference, January 2008.Google Scholar
- Crassidis, J.L. and Markley, F.L. “Attitude Estimation Using Modified Rodrigues Parameters,” Proceedings of the Flight Mechanics/Estimation Theory Symposium, NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD, May 1996, pp. 71–83.Google Scholar
- Cheng, Y. and Crassidis, J.L. “Particle Filtering for Sequential Spacecraft Attitude Estimation,” presented as paper AIAA 2004-5337 at the AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, August 2004.Google Scholar
- Lee, D. and Alfriend, K.T. “Additive Divided Difference Filtering for Attitude Estimation Using Modified Rodrigues Parameters,” presented as paper AAS 08-283 at the F. Landis Markley Astronautics Symposium, June 2008.Google Scholar
- NØrgaard, M., Poulsen, N.K., and Ravn, O. “Advances in Derivative Free State Estimation for Nonlinear Systems,” Technical University of Denmark, Department of Mathematical Modelling, Technical Report IMM-REP-1998-15, revised April 2000.Google Scholar