Strength and Fatigue Resistance of Laser-MIG Hybrid Butt Welds of an Airframe Aluminium Alloy AA6013
- 165 Downloads
Hybrid welding is, as regards selection of welding parameters, a tolerant process. On the other hand, the weld seam and the heat affected zone may tend to be wider as in an arc process, which may be detrimental to mechanical stability. With CO2 laser beam butt welds as a basis for comparison, properties of butt welds of a peak-aged airframe alloy AA6013-T6/3.2 mm, produced by Nd: YAG-MIG hybrid, are investigated. A filler wire (AA4047; AlSi12) was used for both types of welding. It is found that the hybrid process coarsened the microstructure in the fusion zone partly. Furthermore, although the weld seam and the heat-affected zone were wider, mechanical properties were not at all adversely affected. Changes in hardness and tensile strength were marginal and the fatigue performance was in fact improved for the hybrid welds. These results are presented and discussed. It is concluded that the hybrid welding deserves consideration for fatigue critical applications.
IIW-Thesaurus keywordsLaser welding Photon beam welding Radiation welding MIG welding Arc welding Gas shielded arc welding GMA welding Combined processes Butt joints Aluminium alloys Light metals Aircraft Aerospace Crack initiation Crack propagation Fatigue cracks Cracking Defects Microstructure Hardness Mechanical properties Strength Reference lists
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Zink W.: Integral solutions for fuselage shells, in Proceedings of the 19th European Conference on Materials for Aerospace Applications, Dec. 6–8, 2000, Munich (Germany), Advanced Aerospace Materials, M. Peters and W.A. Kaysser, eds., DGLR Report 2001-02, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Luft- und Raumfahrt-Lilienthal-Oberth e. V., Bonn, Germany, 2000, pp. 25–32.Google Scholar
- Weston J., Yoon J.W., Wallach E.R.: Laser welding of aluminium alloys using different laser sources, web article (html version, http://happyinmotion.com/jez, found through Google Scholar; Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Welding and Melting by Electron & Laser Beams, Toulon, France, 15–19 June, 1998).
- Dilthey U., Wieschemann A.: Prospects by combining and coupling laser beam and arc welding processes, Welding in the World, 2000, Vol. 44, pp. 37–46.Google Scholar
- Messler Jr. R.W.: What is next for hybrid welding, Welding Journal, 2004, Vol. 83, March, pp. 30–34.Google Scholar
- Bertling L., Harlfinger H.: Innovative Fügeverfahren zur Herstellung von Al-Leichtbaustrukturen in Schienenfahrzeug, in German (Innovative joining techniques for creating light-weight aluminium structures in railway vehicle production), Materialwissenschaft und Werkstofftechnik, 1999, Vol. 30, pp. 290–299.Google Scholar
- Graf T., Staufer H.: Laser-Hybrid welding drives VW improvements, Welding Journal, 2003, Vol. 82, Jan., pp. 44–48.Google Scholar
- Neye G., Heider P.: Laser beam welding of modern Al-alloys for aircraft industry, in Proceedings of ECLAT′94, 5th European Conference on Laser Treatment of Materials, Sept. 26–27, 1994, Bremen-Vogelsack, Germany, DVS-Berichte Band 163, Deutsche Verlag für Schweißtechnik DVS-Verlag, Düsseldorf, Germany, 1994, pp. 108–117.Google Scholar
- Hackius J., Brenner B., Winderlich B., Standfuß J., Beyer E.: Laserhybridschweißen von Aluminiumlegierungen, in German, (Laser hybrid welding of aluminium alloys), LaserOpto, 2001, Vol. 33, pp. 49–55.Google Scholar
- Walz C., Seefeld T., Sepold G.: Nahtgeometrie und Prozessstabilität beim Laser-MIG-Schweißen, in German (Seam geometry and process stability during laser-MIG welding), LaserOpto, 2001, Vol. 33, pp. 64–67.Google Scholar
- El Rayes M., Walz C., Sepold G.: The influence of various hybrid welding parameters on bead geometry, Welding Journal, 2004, Vol. 83, May, pp. 147–S–153–S.Google Scholar
- Vaidya W.V., Koçak M., Seib E., H. Assler and J. Hackius: Mechanical behavior of laser beam and friction stir welded aluminium alloys for airframes, Welding in the World, 2004, Vol. 48, (Special issue, July), pp. 261–273.Google Scholar
- Staron P., Vaidya W.V., Koçak M., Homeyer J., Hackius J.: Residual stresses in laser beam welded butt joints of the airframe aluminium alloy AA6056, accepted for publication in the Proceedings of the 7th European Conference on Residual Stresses (ECRS 7), 13–15 Sept. 2006, Berlin, Germany (to be published in Materials Science Forum).Google Scholar