Purification and Characterization of Lectin from Lathyrus sativus
Lectin has been isolated and purified from Lathyrus sativus using ammonium sulphate precipitation followed by affinity chromatography. The molecular weight as determined by HPLC was found to be 42kD. The lectin is a tetramer, consisting of two types of subunits of which the heavier subunit consists of 2 polypeptides of mol wt of about 21 kD and 16 kD while the smaller subunits consists of two polypeptides of about 5kD as revealed by SDS-PAGE. The most potent sugar inhibitor of the Lathyrus lectin was found to be α-methyl D-mannoside. The N-terminal amino acid sequence was similar to that of pea lectin sequence.
Key wordsLathyrus sativus lectin molecular characterization carbohydrate specificity amino acid sequence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Marban-Mendoza. N, Dicklow MB & Zuckerman BM, Funda Appl Nematoll, 15 (1992) 97.Google Scholar
- 4.Hilder UA, In Workshop on engineering plants against pests and patogens (G Bruening, F GarciaoiLmedo, Ponz F,Editors) 11–13 Jan. 1993 Madrid, Spain, p 68.Google Scholar
- 5.Roy PK, Singh B, Mehta SL, Barat GK, Gupta N, Kirti PB & Chopra VL, Ind J Exptl Biol, 29 (1991) 327.Google Scholar
- 7.Roy PK, All K, Gupta A, Barat GK & Mehta SL, J Plant Biochem Biotech, 2 (1993) 9.Google Scholar
- 8.Mehta SL, All K & Barna KS, J Plant Biochem Biotech, 3 (1994) 73.Google Scholar
- 11.Pusztal A, Croy RRD, Grant G & Stewart JC. In Seed proteins (J Doussant, J Mosse & J Vaughan, Editors) New York, Academic Press (1983) p 53.Google Scholar
- 17.Rejholcova M & Kocourek J, In Abstr 10th FEBs Meeting, Paris # 992 (1975).Google Scholar
- 19.Higgins TJV, Chandler PM, Zurawski G, Button SC & Spencer D, J. Blochem, 258 (1983) 9544.Google Scholar