Effects of Ximoprofen and Acetylsalicylic Acid on Human Articular Chondrocytes in 3-Dimensional Culture
- 5 Downloads
Different pharmacological concentrations of 2 nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) and ximoprofen (XP), were tested on human chondrocytes cultivated in clusters. DNA synthesis, measured by [3H]thymidine uptake into DNA, was depressed by ASA at concentrations typical of those found in synovial fluid and plasma after the administration of a single oral dose (500mg). Similarly, proteoglycans, assayed by a specific radioimmunoassay, were depressed in culture medium, whereas type II collagen was not modified. In contrast, XP did not affect these chondroformative processes in chondrocytes. Both NSAIDs were potent inhibitors of prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) synthesis, XP being more efficient than ASA. These experiments demonstrated that although XP inhibits PGE2 synthesis, it does not depress chondroformative parameters in human cartilage in vitro.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bassleer C, Henrotin Y, Franchimont P. Effets de l’etodolac sur le métabolisme des chondrocytes humains cultivés en agrégats. In Gaucher & Netter (Eds) Actualités en Physiopathologie et pharmacologie articulaires, pp. 239–240, Masson, 1989Google Scholar
- Brandt KD. Treatment of osteoarthritis. In McCarty (Ed.) Arthritis and allied conditions, pp. 1631–1641, Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia, 1988Google Scholar
- Fujii K, Tajiri K, Kajiwara T, Tanaka T, Murota K. Effects of NSAID on collagen and proteoglycan synthesis of cultured chondrocytes. Journal of Rheumatology 16: 19–28, 1989Google Scholar
- Herbage D, Bouillet J, Bernengo JC. Biochemical and physico-chemical characterization of pepsin-solubilized type II collagen from bovine articular cartilage. Biochemistry Journal 161: 303–312, 1977Google Scholar
- Hucker HB, Stauffer SC, White SD, Rhodes RE, Arisoa BH, et al. Physiologic disposition and metabolic fate of a new antiinflammatory agent, cis-5-fluoro-2-methyl-l-methylsulfin benzylidenyl-indende-3-acetate acid in the rat, dog, rhesus monkey and man. Drug Metabolism and Disposition 1: 721–736, 1973PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kirkpatrick C, Mohr W, Wildfeuer A, Haferkamp O. Influence of non steroidal antiinflammatory agents on lapine articular chondrocytes growth in vitro. Rheumatology 42: 58–65, 1983Google Scholar
- Lequesne M. Arthrose de la hanche et du genou. Critères de diagnostic. Indices de la douleur, de la fonction et du résultat thérapeutique. In Peyron (Ed.) Epidemiology of osteoarthritis, Geigy, Paris, France, 1984Google Scholar
- Taylor IW, Chasseaud LF. Determination of ximoprofen in human plasma by gas chromatography. Journal of Chromatography 37: 1939–1945, 1988Google Scholar