Rapidly Solidified Aluminum Alloys: A Market Assessment
- 32 Downloads
A survey of the markets for rapidly solidified, high strength aluminum alloys has been made by Charles River Associates1 on the basis of currently available technologies. This survey includes an assessment of potentially new developments, Advanced powder metallurgy technologies possess a visible market potential primarily in applications requiring high strength, heat treatable alloys of modified 7075 composition (currently alloys 7090 and 7091) and lithium bearing 2XXX series.
KeywordsAluminum Alloy Landing Gear Weight Saving Rapid Solidification Processing Ingot Metallurgy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Charles River Associates, 1984, “Fine Powders and Particulates,” Boston, Mass: Charles River Associates.Google Scholar
- 2.P. Domalavage, N.J. Grant and Y. Gefen, Metall. Trans. A, 1983, Vol. 14A, pp. 1599–1606.Google Scholar
- 3.V. Anand, A.J. Kaufman and N.J. Grant in “Rapid Solidification Processing-Principles and Technologies,” R. Mehrabian, B. Kear and M. Cohen, eds., Claitor’s Publishing Division, Baton Rouge, LA, 1980, pp. 273–286.Google Scholar
- 5.S. Kang and N.J. Grant, Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Rapid Solidification Processing, R. Mehrabian ed., National Bureau of Standards, Gaithersburg, MD, 1982, pp. 209–214.Google Scholar
- 8.R.J. Towner: “Development of Aluminum Base Alloys,” Annual Progress Report, Sept. 1961-Sept. 1962. Project No. 593-32-004, Contract No. DA-36-034-ORD-3559RD, Oct. 1962, DDC, Alexandria, VA.Google Scholar
- 9.M. Rafalin, A. Lawley and M.J. Koczak, “High Strength Powder Metallurgy Aluminum Alloys,” Proceedings of the PM Committee of AIME Symposium, Dallas, TX, 1982, p. 63.Google Scholar
- 10.S.H. Doerr, “A Comparison of Microstructure and Properties of Equivalent Strength Ingot Metallurgy and Powder Metallurgy 7XXX Aluminum Alloys,” AFWAL-TR-81-4068, Final Report, September 1980.Google Scholar
- 11.R.E. Lewis, I.G. Palmer, J.C. Eckvall, I.F. Sakata and W.E. Quist, Proceedings of the Third Conference on Rapid Solidification Processing, R. Mehrabian, ed., National Bureau of Standards, Gaithersburg, MD, 1982, p. 613.Google Scholar