Representations of Invariant Manifolds for Applications in Three-Body Systems
- 156 Downloads
The lunar L1 and L2 libration points have been proposed as gateways granting inexpensive access to interplanetary space. To date, individual transfers between three-body systems have been determined. The methodology to solve the problem for arbitrary three-body systems and entire families of orbits is currently being studied. This paper presents an initial approach to solve the general problem for single and multiple impulse transfers. Two different methods of representing and storing the invariant manifold data are developed. Some particular solutions are presented for two types of transfer problems, though the emphasis is on developing the methodology for solving the general problem.
KeywordsManifold Invariant Manifold Unstable Manifold Stable Manifold Libration Point
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- GÓMEZ, G., KOON, W., LO, M., MARSDEN, J., MASDEMONT, J., and ROSS, S. “Connecting Orbits and Invariant Manifolds in the Spatial Three-Body Problem,” Nonlinearity, 2001.Google Scholar
- HOWELL, K. C. and ANDERSON, J. P. “Triana Contingency Analysis: Final Report,” Aeronautics and Astronautics, Purdue University, IOM AAE-0140-006 (prepared for NASA Goddard Triana Flight Project), May 2001.Google Scholar
- ANDERSON, J. Earth-to-Lissajous Transfers and Recovery Trajectories Using an Ephemeris Model, M.S. Thesis, School of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Purdue University, 2001.Google Scholar
- FOLTA, D. C., BECKMAN, M., LEETE, S. J., MARR, G. C., MESARCH, M., and COOLEY, S. “Servicing and Deployment of National Resources in Sun-Earth Libration Point Orbits,” presented as paper IAC-02-Q.6.08 at the 53rd International Astronautical Congress, The World Space Congress, Houston, Texas, October 2002.Google Scholar
- LO, M.W. and ROSS, S.D. “The Lunar L1 Gateway: Portal to the Stars and Beyond,” AIAA Space Conference and Exposition, Albuquerque, New Mexico, August 2001.Google Scholar
- HOWELL, K. C. and GORDON, S. C. “Orbit Determination Error Analysis and a Station-Keeping Strategy for Sun-Earth L1 Libration Point Orbits,” The Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, Vol. 42, April–June 1994.Google Scholar
- GÓMEZ, G., KOON, W., LO, M., MARSDEN, J., MASDEMONT, J., and ROSS, S. “Invariant Manifolds, the Spatial Three-Body Problem, and Space Mission Design,” presented as paper AAS 01-301 at the AAS/AIAA Astrodynamics Specialist Conference, Quebec City, July 30-August 2, 2001.Google Scholar