A total correction for tetralogy of fallot without the use of homologous blood
- 16 Downloads
In 22 consecutive patients with tetralogy of Fallot (TF), a total correction was attempted without the use of a homologous blood transfusion from September 1995 to March 1997. The 22 patients were divided into two groups according to their surgical procedures; namely, either a simple correction (group I: n = 14) or a complex correction including the relief of peripheral pulmonary stenosis and/or the division of a previous systemic-pulmonary shunt (group II: n = 8). In 77% of all patients, surgery was performed without a homologous blood transfusion. No differences were found in the non-transfusion rate and the hematocrit (Ht) values between the two groups and, as a result, we thus confirm that this additional procedure is not a risk factor for surgery without a homologous blood transfusion. According to the correlation of the red blood cell volume before and after surgery, the preoperative Ht value corresponding to the postoperative Ht of 30% could be accurately predicted. The calculated Ht values were 41.0% in the patient weighing 15 kg, 42.5% in those weighing 10 kg, and 46.9% in those weighing 5 kg. These data suggest that a surgical correction without a homologous blood transfusion can therefore be safely performed in almost all patients with TF.
KeywordsHydroxyethyl Starch Total Correction Homologous Blood Simple Correction Autologous Blood Donation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7).Stein JI, Gombotz H, Rigler B, Metzler H, Suppan C, Beitzke A: Open heart surgery in children of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Extreme hemodilution on cardiopulmonary bypass. Pediatr Cardiol 12: 170–174, 1991Google Scholar
- 8).Tsang VT, Mullaly RJ, Ragg PG, Karl TR, Mee RBB: Bloodless open-heart surgery in infants and children. Perfusion 9: 257–263, 1994Google Scholar
- 9).Territo MC, Rosove MH: Cyanotic congenital heart disease. Hematologic management. J Am Coll Cardiol 18: 320–322, 1991Google Scholar
- 10).van Son JAM, Hovaguimian H, Rao IM, He GW, Meiling GA, King DH, Starr A: Strategies for repair of congenital heart defects in infants without the use of blood. Ann Thorac Surg 59: 384–388, 1995Google Scholar
- 11).Buckley MJ, Austen WG, Goldblatt A, Laver MB: Severe hemodilution and autotransfusion for surgery of congenital heart disease. Surg Forum 22: 160–162, 1971Google Scholar
- 13).Masuda M, Kawachi Y, Inaba S, Matsuzaki K, Fukumura F, Morita S, Tominaga R, Yasui H: Preoperative autologous blood donations in pediatric cardiac surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 60: 1694–1697, 1995Google Scholar