Local Effects Between the Tyre and the Road
The tyre is the integral part of the vehicle that transmits all normal and tangential forces between the vehicle and the road. The tyre tread block is the only tyre component that is in direct contact with the road surface and is thus of special interest. However, the contact situation between the tyre and the road is a very complex one, and therefore all its details are usually unknown. The Institute of Dynamics and Vibration Research at Leibniz University Hanover investigates the local contact phenomena in the tyre/road contact and developed a modular model that describes the dynamic behaviour of tyre tread blocks, taking into account the contact effects.
KeywordsContact Pressure Road Surface Contact Stiffness Contact Parameter Mastic Asphalt
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Persson, B.N.J.; Albohr, O.; Volokitin, A.I.; Tosatti, E.: On the nature of surface roughness with application to contact mechanics, sealing, rubber friction and adhesion, Journal of Physics, Condens. Matter 16 (2004), R1–R62Google Scholar
- Gäbel, G.; Kröger, M.; Saemann, E.-U.: Local Contact between Tyre and Road in Experiment and Simulation. The 36th International Congress and Exhibition on Noise Control Engineering, Istanbul, Turkey, No. 309 (2007), pp. 1–10Google Scholar
- Kummer, H.W.: Unified Theory of Rubber and Tire Friction. Engineering Research Bulletin B-94, Pennsylvania State University, USA, 1966Google Scholar
- Le Gal, A.; Yang, X.; Klüppel, M.: Evaluation of sliding friction and contact mechanics of elastomers based on dynamic-mechanical analysis, Journal of Chemical Physics, Vol. 123, 014704, 2005Google Scholar
- Gäbel, G., Kröger, M.: Reasons, models and experiments for unsteady friction of vehicle tires. International Congress Tires-Chassis-Road, VDI-Reports, No. 2014 (2007), pp. 245–259Google Scholar
- Kröger, M.; Wangenheim, M.; Moldenhauer, P.: Temperature Effects on the Local Friction of Elastomers in Sliding and Rolling Contact. International Congress Tires-Chassis-Road, VDI-Reports, No. 1912 (2005), pp. 271–290Google Scholar
- Kröger, M.; Moldenhauer, P.; Gäbel, G.: Modular Modelling of Dynamic Systems with Elastomer Contacts. IUTAM Symposium on Computational Methods in Contact Mechanics, IUTAM Bookseries, Vol. 3 (2007), Springer VerlagGoogle Scholar
- Hofstetter, K.: Thermo-mechanical simulation of rubber tread blocks during frictional sliding. PhD Thesis, Institute for Strength of Materials, Vienna University of Technology, 2004Google Scholar
- Kendziorra, N.; Moldenhauer, P.; Wies, B.: Verschiedene Aspekte der Reibdynamik am Fahrzeugreifen. Nichtlineare Schwingungen — Reibung und Kontaktmechanik, VDI-Reports, No. 2022 (2007), pp. 1–19Google Scholar