Synthesis of norbornene block copolymers containing polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane by sequential ring-opening metathesis polymerization
- 103 Downloads
The synthesis of a series of poly(POSS-NBE-b-MTD) copolymers was successfully accomplished, taking advantage of sequential, ring-opening, metathesis block copolymerization using RuCl2(=CHPh)(PCy3)2 catalyst. By using cyclopentyl-POSS-norbornene (POSS-NBE) monomer as the first block in the block copolymer, living poly(POSS-NBE) with controlled molecular weight and narrow molecular weight distribution was produced. Then, poly(POSS-NBE-b-MTD) copolymers were successfully prepared, in which sequential monomer addition of methyltetracyclododecene (MTD) to the living poly(POSS-NBE) chain ends was utilized to achieve quantitative crossover efficiency. Characterization by1H NMR spectroscopy and GPC confirmed the high definition and structural integrity of the poly(POSS-NBE-b-MTD) copolymers. Thermal properties and morphologies of the POSS-containing block copolymer nanocomposites were also investigated by using thermogravimetric analysis (TGA), transmission electron microscopy (TEM), and wide-angle X-ray scattering (WAXS).
Keywordspolyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane nanocomposite ring-opening metathesis polymerization block copolymer sequential monomer addition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).L. M. Liz-Marzan and P. V. Kamat, Eds.,Nanoscale Materials, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, 2003.Google Scholar
- (2).H. S. Nalwa, Ed.,Handbook of Nanostructured Materials and Nanotechnology, vol. 5., Organics, Polymers, and Biological Materials, Academic Press, San Diego, 2000.Google Scholar
- (3).H. S. Nalwa, Ed.,Handbook of Organic-Inorganic Hybrid Materials and Nanocomposites, American Scientific Publishers, Stevenson Ranch, 2003.Google Scholar
- (11).L. Zheng, R. J. Farris, and E. B. Coughlin,Polym. Prepr.,42, 885 (2001).Google Scholar
- (20).T. S. Haddad, P. T. Mather, H. G. Jeon, S. B. Chun, and S. H. Phillips,Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc.,628, CC2.6.1 (2000).Google Scholar
- (22).L. Zheng, R. J. Farris, and E. B. Coughlin,Polym. Prepr.,42, 885 (2001).Google Scholar