An efficient method for synthesis of PEO-based macromonomer and macroinitiator
Then-butyllithium-initiated ring-opening polymerization of ethylene oxide, in a mixture of benzene and dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO), between 25-45°C, with potassiumtert-butoxide, is a useful and powerful method to control the molecular weight as well as achieve a quantitative chain-end functionalization yield of the resulting polymeric alkoxidevia a one pot synthesis. The molecular weight of the product could be controlled by adjusting the ratio of grams of monomer to moles of initiators, such asn-butyllithium ([n-BuLi]) and potassiumt-butoxide ([t-BuOK]). The yields for the macromonomer and?-brominated poly(ethylene oxide) (PEO) were quantitative in relation to the chain-end functionalizations of the polymeric alkoxide formed. The resulting products were characterized by a combination of1H-NMR spectroscopic and size exclusion chromatographic analyses.
Keywordspoly(ethylene oxide) molecular weight control chain-end functionalizations macromonomer macroinitiator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).Advances in lithium-ion batteries, B. Scrosati and W. Schalkwijk, Eds., Plenum, New York, 2002.Google Scholar
- (12).R. P. Quirk,Anionic synthesis of polymers with functional groups, inComprehensive Polymer Science, S. L. Aggarwal and S. Russo, Eds., Pregamon Press, Seoul, 1992, Suppl.Google Scholar
- (13).R. P. Quirk and J. Kim,Macromonmers and Macroinitiators, inRing-opening Polymerization; Mechanisms, Catalysis, Structure, Utility, D. J. Brunelle, Ed., Hanser, New York, 1993, Chap. 9, pp 263–293.Google Scholar
- (14).S. Slomkowski and A. Duda,Anionic Ring-Opening Polymerization, inRing-opening Polymerization; Mechanisms, Catalysis, Structure, Utility, D. J. Brunelle, Ed., Hanser, New York, 1993, Chap. 3, pp 87–128.Google Scholar
- (15).H. L. Hsieh and R. P. Quirk,Anionic Polymerization: Principles and Practical Applications, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1996, Chap. 24, pp 685–710.Google Scholar
- (16) (a).
- (16) (b).
- (25).V. Halaska, L. Lochmann, and D. Lim,Collect. Czec. Chem. Commun.,33, 3245 (1968).Google Scholar
- (28).L. Brandsma and H. Verkruijsse,Preparative Polar Organometallic Chemistry 1, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, 1987, Chap. II, p 41.Google Scholar
- (31).H. L. Hsieh and R. P. Quirk,Anionic Polymerization: Principles and Practical Applications, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1996, Chap. 4, pp 71–92.Google Scholar