Mitral valve repair by Carpentier-Edwards Physio annuloplasty ring
- 78 Downloads
A semi-flexible annuloplasty ring (Physio-ring) was clinically used in 30 cases of mitral valve insufficiency. The Physio-ring has the characteristics in which the anterior section is rigid and has a saddle-shaped curve, while the posterior section is flexible to allow for changes in size and shape of the anulus during ventricular contraction. The patients were aged from 23 to 73 years (mean 53.8 ± 12.5). The cause of mitral valve insufficiency was degenerative (in 24 patients), rheumatic (2), ischemic (1), endocarditis (1), congenital + degenerative (1), and traumatic (1). On the 6-month post-implant echocardiogram, 96.6% had grade 0 or +1 regurgitation. The effective valve orifice area was 2.61 ± 0.82 cm2 (n = 19). There was no late death. However, there was 1 (3.3%) hospital death after the patient had received a simultaneous coronary artery bypass grafting, and then developed low output syndrome after surgery. Although there was no device-related complication, hemolysis of undetermined cause was observed in 1 (3.3%) patient The findings from this study indicated a low incidence of device-related complication, while excellent valvular function was maintained.
Index wordsmitral valve repair mitral annuloplasty mitral regurgitation Physio-ring
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Van Rijk-Zwiller GL, Mast F, Schipperheyn JJ, Huysmans HA, Bruschke AVG. Comparison of rigid and flexible rings for annuloplasty of the porcine mitral valve. Circulation 1990; 82 (5 Suppl): IV 58–64.Google Scholar
- 7.Carpentier A. Cardiac valve surgery — the French correction. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1983; 86: 327–37.Google Scholar
- 9.Nakano M, Kurosawa H, Morita K, Nagahori R, Tatara A, Shimizu S. Mitral valve repair for mitral regurgitation: technical contrivance and its further application. (in Japanese with English abstract) J Jpn Assn Thorac Surg 1995; 43: 1617–24.Google Scholar
- 11.Eishi K, Kawazoe K, Sasako Y, Kosakai Y, Kitoh Y, Kawashima Y. Comparison of repair technique for mitral valve prolapse. J Heart Valv Dis 1994; 3: 432–8.Google Scholar
- 13.Galloway AC, Colvin SB, Baumann FG, Esposito R, Vohra R, Harty S, et al. Long term results of mitral valve reconstruction with Carpentier techniques in 148 patients with mitral insufficiency. Circulation 1988; 78 (Suppl 1): 97–105.Google Scholar
- 17.Randall Green G, Dagum P, Galsson JR, Daughters GT, Bolger AE, Foppiano LE, et al. Ring annuloplasty “Freezes” the posterior mitral leaflet. The 35th Annual Meeting of the Society of Thoracic Surgeon. (abstract) San Antonio 1999; 244.Google Scholar
- 18.Duran CG, Revueita JM, Gaite L, Alonso C, Fleitas MG. Stability of mitral reconstructive surgery at 10–12 years of predominantly rheumatic valvular disease. Circulation 1988; 78 (Pt 2): I 91–6.Google Scholar