Relative transcript abundance of oxytocin receptor gene in porcine uterus during luteolysis and early pregnancy
The aim of the present study was to investigate transcript localization of the oxytocin receptor (OTR) gene in different cells of the porcine uterus during luteolysis and early pregnancy (days 14–16) usingin situ hybridization (ISH). OTR mRNA was localized in the uterine luminal epithelium (LEC), glandular epithelium (GEC), stromal cells (SC) of the endometrium, in the longitudinal muscle layer (LM) and circular muscle layer (CM) of the myometrium. The OTR transcript was quantified by optical density units of silver grains. The OTR transcript levels in the endometrium and myometrium were statistically higher during luteolysis than during early pregnancy (P < 0.05). Besides, during luteolysis, the mRNA level was higher in the LEC, GEC of the endometrium and LM of the myometrium compared to that observed in the SC of endometrium and CM of the myometrium, respectively (P < 0.05). In summary: 1) the level of OTR mRNA in uterine tissues is higher during luteolysis compared to early pregnancy, 2) the OTR transcript level in endometrial cells did not correspond to the sensitivity of these cells to oxytocin (OT), 3) the myometrial expression of the OTR gene is appropriate to control contractile activity and secretion of PG during luteolysis.
Key wordsendometrium luteolysis myometrium ISH OTR pregnancy pigs
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boulton MI, McGrath TJ, Gilbert CL, 1995. Oxytocin receptor mRNA expression in the porcine uterus during the oestrous cycle, and pregnancy. J Reprod Fertil 16, 21 (abstract 54).Google Scholar
- Kotwica G, Franczak A, Okrasa S, Kotwica J, 1999. Effect of an oxytocin antagonist on prostaglandin F2α secretion and the course of luteolysis in sows. Acta Vet Hung 4: 249–262.Google Scholar
- Mirando MA, Uzumcu M, Carnahan KG, Ludwig TE, 1996. A role for oxytocin during luteolysis and early pregnancy in swine. Reprod Dom Anim 31: 455–461.Google Scholar
- Uzumcu M, Braileanu GT, Carnahan KG, Ludwig TE, Mirando MA, 1998. Oxytocin-stimulated phosphoinositide hydrolysis and prostaglandin F secretion by luminal epithelial, glandular epithelial, and stromal cells from pig endometrium. I. Response of cyclic pigs on day 16 postesrus. Biol Reprod 59: 1259–1265.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Uzumcu M, Carnahan KG, Braileanu GT, Mirando MA, 2000. Oxytocin-stimulated phoshoinositide hydrolysis and prostaglandin F2α secretion by luminal epithelial, glandular epithelial and stromal cells from pig endometrim. II. Reponses of cyclic, pregnant and pseudopregnant pigs on Days 12 and 16 post estrus. Reprod Fertil Dev 12: 157–164.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar