Investigation of racial variations in the metabolism of tramadol
- 60 Downloads
Metabolism of tramadol, 1-(m-methyoxyphenyl)-2-(dimethyllamminomethyl)-cyclohexan-1-ol, in man was investigated using urine of healthy male volunteers. The drug was administered orally and the urine was extracted and analysed by gas chromatography. Tramadol and two of its metabolites were detected in urine. The major metabolic pathways were O- and N-demethylation and a combination of these metabolic steps. Tramadol was excreted mainly unchanged, about 96%. Thus, biotransformation was not significant in the elimination of the drug from the body.
KeywordsTramadol O-demethyl metabolite racial variation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Friderichs E., Felgenhauer E., Jonschaap F., Osterloh G. (1978): Arznneim-Forsch 28, 122–134.Google Scholar
- 2.Osterloh G., Friderichs E., Fegenhauer E., Gumzier W.A., Henmii Z., Kitano T., Nakamura H., Ishii T. (1978): General Pharmacological studies on tramadol, a powerful analgesic agent, Arzneim.-Forsch, 28, 135–151.Google Scholar
- 3.Lagler F., Helm F., Etzel V., Kiel H. (1978): Toxicological investigation with tramadol, a new analgesic. Arzneim.-Forsch 28. 164–172.Google Scholar
- 4.Erlacin S., Frankus E., Lintz W. (1980): Metabolism of tramadol in man and animals, Naunyn-Schmiedeberg’s Arch. Pharmacol. 313 Suuppl. R 202.Google Scholar
- 5.Paxton J.W. (1981): Elementary pharmacokinetics in clinical practice 4. Genetic environmental and age influences on pharmacokinetics. The new Zealand Med. J., 697, 423–425.Google Scholar
- 6.Flick K., Frankus E., Friderichs E. (1978): Investigation of the chemical structure and analgesic property of phenylsubstituted aminomethylcyclohexanol. Arzneim.-Forsch, 28, 107–113.Google Scholar
- 7.Ogunleye D.S., Mustapha A. (1988): Gas liquid chromatographic determination of tramadol, a centrally acting analgesic agent. Nigerian J. of Pharm. Sci. 4, 65–66.Google Scholar
- 8.Testa B., Jenner P. (1976): Drug metabolism: Chemical and biochemical aspects. In Drugs and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Dekker Inc., New York, 4, 4–9, 82Google Scholar
- 9.Ofoegbu R.O., Mbonu O.O. (1985): Current Ther. Res. 305–307.Google Scholar
- 12.Lintz W. (1980): Pharmacokinetics of tramadol in man and animals. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg’s Arch. Pharmacol., 313, Suppl. R53.Google Scholar