Capillary electrophoresis and Capillary Electrophoresis-mass spectrometry in drug and metabolite analysis
The structural diversity of modern therapeutic agents can lead to labour intensive method development for each drug and the structural characterization of their metabolites. In this work, we show the benefits of the high resolution capabilities of capillary electrophoresis (CE) and demonstrate that nonaqueous CE and on-line CE-mass spectrometry (CE-MS) leads to enhanced resolution and recovery of mixtures containing the prototype H2-antagonist, mifentidine, and putative metabolites. Furthermore, the usefulness of CE-tandem MS (CE-MS/MS) is also demonstrated by the structural characterization of the novel N2-hydroxylamine metabolite of mifentidine.
Keywordscapillary electrophoresis capillary electrophoresis-mass spectrometry tandem MS drug metabolism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Naylor, S., Benson, L.M., and Tomlinson, A.J., (1994), Monitoring drug metabolism by capillary electrophoresis in CRC Handbook of Capillary Electrophoresis, Landers, J.P. (Ed.), CRC Press, Boca Raton, Chapter 17.Google Scholar
- 11.Tomlinson, A.J., Benson, L.M., and Naylor, S., (1994) Advantages of nonaqueous solvents in the analysis of drug metabolites using CE and on-line CE-MS. LC-GC, 12:123.Google Scholar
- 13.Guzman, N.A. (Ed.), (1993), Capillary Electrophoresis Technology, Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, pgs 857.Google Scholar
- 14.Demarest, C.W., Monnot-Chase, E.A., Jiu, J., and Weinberger, R., (1992) Separation of small molecules by high performance capillary electrophoresis, in Capillary Electrophoresis, Theory and Practice, Grossman, P.D. and Colburn, J.C. (Eds.), Academic Press Inc., San Diego, Chapter 11.Google Scholar
- 15.Tomlinson, A.J., Benson, L.M., and Naylor, S., (1994), Effects of organic solvent in the capillary electrophoresis and on-line capillary electrophoresis-mass spectrometry analysis of drug metabolite mixtures. Amer. Lab., 26:29.Google Scholar