The relationship of early hypertension folio wing carotid endarterectomy to intraoperative cerebral ischemia
The relationship between early hypertension following carotid endarterectomy, and intraoperative cerebral ischemia was investigated. Two measures of the adequacy of collateral cerebral circulation during carotid clamping were used: collateral cerebral perfusion pressure (ΔAP), and the ratio of collateral to Ipsilateral cerebral vascular resistance (R/R). Change in blood pressure was measured by the ratio of mean early post to preendarterectomy pressure (P/P). Nitroprusside or nitroglycerin (NN) was used after endarterectomy to maintain systolic blood pressure <160 mmHg. The mean values for NN (n=26) and no NN (n=81) groups were: ΔP=30.0 and 40.2 mmHg (p<0.001); R/R=1.93 and 1.24 (p<0.005); and P/P=1.03 and 0.857 (p<0.001 p by unpairedt test). Linear regression analysis of the two measures of cerebral perfusion with the ratio of post-to preoperative blood pressure gave correlation coefficients between 0.629 and 0.841 with a probability that the slope of the regression line >0 of <0.01. Low ΔP and high R/R correlate with early postcarotid endarterectomy hypertension. These results support the hypothesis that one determinant of early post endarterectomy hypertension is Inadequate collateral cerebral circulation during carotid clamping.
Key WordCarotid endarterectomy hypertension cerebral ischemia Intraoperative cerebral circulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.SNEDECOR GW, COCHRAN WG. Statistical Methods. Ames, Iowa: Iowa State University Press, 1967.Google Scholar
- 5.BOVE EL, FRY WJ, GROSS WS, STANLEY JC. Hypotension and hypertension as consequences of baroreceptor dysfunction following carotid endarterectomy.Surgery 1979;85:6–11.Google Scholar
- 6.TOWNE JB, BERNHARD VM. The relationship of postoperative hypertension to complications following carotid endarterectomy.Surgery 1980;88:4–9.Google Scholar
- 8.RILES TS, KOPELMAN I, IMPARATO AM. Myocardial infarction following carotid endarterectomy: A review of 683 operations.Surgery 1978;85:249–52.Google Scholar
- 9.PHILLIPS MI, WEYENMEYER J, FELIX D, GANTEN D, HOFFMAN WG. Evidence for an endogenous brain renin-angio-tension system.FedProc 1979;38:9, 2260.Google Scholar