Roles of histones and nucleosomes in gene transcription
This article reviews the latest research developments in the field of eukaryotic gene regulation by the structural alterations of chromatin and nucleosomes. The following issues are briefly addressed: (i) nucleosome and histone modifications by both the ATP-dependent remodeling complexes and the histone acetyltransferases and their roles in gene activation; (ii) competitive binding of histones and transcription factors on gene promoters, and transcription repression by nucleosomes; and (iii) influences of linker histone H1 on gene regulation. Meanwhile, the significance and impact of these new research progresses, as well as issues worthwhile for further study are commented.
Keywordshistories nucleosome chromatin remoddeling gene transcription
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Emerson, B. M., Bagga, R., LXIII Cold Spring Harbot Symposium on Quantitative Biology: Mechanisms of transcription, Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 1999, 1423: R45.Google Scholar
- 11.Zhang, Z., Buchman, A. R., Identification of a member of a DNA-dependent ATPase family that causes interference with silencing, Mol. Cell Biol., 1997, 17: 5461.Google Scholar
- 14.Spencer, T. E., Jenster, G., Burcin, M. M. et al., Steroid receptor coactivator-l is a histone acetyltransferase, Nature. 1997, 389: 1994.Google Scholar
- 18.Hansen, J. C., The core histone amino-termini: combinatorial interaction domains that link chromatin structure with function. Chem. Tracts Biochem. Mol. Biol., 1997, 10: 56.Google Scholar
- 26.Zeng, Q. H., Yin, D., Sun, Y. C. et al., Binding and interaction of histones and transcription factors on the promoter of hAMFR gene. Chinese J. Genel., 1999, 26: 213.Google Scholar
- 31.Zeng, Q. H., Yin, D., Sun, Y. C. et al., Effects ot the interaction between histones and hAMFR gene promoter on the transcription activityin vitro, Acta Genetica Sinica (in Chinese). 1999, 26151: 501.Google Scholar
- 32.Sandaltzopoulos, R., Blank, T., Becker, P. B. Transcriptional repression by nucleosome but not H1 in reconstituted preblastodermDrosophila chromatin, EMBO J., 1994, 13: 373.Google Scholar
- 37.Sera, T., Wolffe, A. P., Role of histone HI as an architectural determinant of chromatin structure and as a specific repressor of transcription onXenopus oocyte 5S rRNA genes. Mol. Cell. Biol., 1998, 18: 3668.Google Scholar