Magnetic polarity ages of the fossil-bearing strata at the Si-hetun section, West Liaoning: A preliminary result
- 18 Downloads
Rock-magnetic and palaeomagnetic studies have been carried out on the interval of famous fossil-bearing sedimentary rocks and its overlying basalts and underlying basalts at the Sihetun section, West Liaoning Province. Normal polarity was obtained for the sedimentary interval and the underlying basalts, while reversed polarity was found in the overlying basalts. Taking account of the new40Ar/39Ar ages (Swisher et al., 1999), we classified the fossil-bearing sedimentary interval into the Barremian M3n zone (Early Cretaceous age). Several abnormal horizons on magnetic properties, probably corresponding to the tuffs, were observed in the fossil-bearing sedimentary interval. This implies that the massive bio-extinction may link to dramatic environmental changes that were caused by volcanic eruptions.
Keywordsmagnetic polarity age Jehol fauna Sihetun section
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hou, L. H., A carnate bird from the Upper Jurassic of western Liaoning, China, Chin. Sci. Bull., 1996, 41: 1861.Google Scholar
- 7.Ren, D., Guo, Z. G., Lou, L. W. et al., A new understanding to the Upper Jurassic Yixian Formation, west Liaoning Province, Geological Review, 1997, 43(5): 449.Google Scholar
- 10.Wang, S., Wang, Y. Q., Hu, G. H. et al., The existing time of Sihetun vertebrate in western Liaoning, China—Evidence from U-Pb dating of zircon, Chin. Sci. Bull., 2001, 46(9): 779.Google Scholar
- 13.Xu, K., Liang, H. D., Chen, W. J. et al., Mesozoic stratigraphic sequence and time series, Mesozoic Volcanic Rocks in West Liaoning and its Adjacent Area—Chronology, Geochemistry and Tectonic Settings (eds. Chen Yixian et al.), 1997, 202–217.Google Scholar
- 14.Zhu, R. X., Liu, Q. S., Pan, Y. X., Links between the geomagnetic polarity reversals and global geological events, Chinese Sci. Bull., 1999, 44(15): 1582.Google Scholar