Inheritance and expression of multiple disease and insect resistance genes in transgenic rice
- 33 Downloads
2–3 anti-fungal disease genes are coinserted with hygromycin phosphotransferase in the same vector. Two insecticidal genes and PPT acetyl transferase genes are placed in another one. The vectors are co-delivered to rice embryonic cellus tissue at a molar ratio of 1 : 1 using the particle gun method. 55 independent regenerated lines have been obtained through screening for hygromycin resistance. Of these, 70% transgenic plants harbor 6–7 foreign genes. The genes on the same vectors are always co-delivered to rice plant. Northern blot analysis has indicated that the multiple foreign genes give stable expression. In the 6 transgenic plants carrying 6–7 foreign genes, multiple foreign genes tend to integrate in 1 or 2 genetic loci. Progeny segregation is consistent with Mendel’s 3 : 1 segregation law. 8 homozygous R1 transgenic plants harboring 2–3 anti-fungal and 2 insecticidal genes are selected from large number of transgenic progeny screening for hygromycin and Basta resistance.
Keywordsrice biolistic multiple gene transfer anti-fungal gene insecticidal gene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Fujimoto, H., Itoh, K., Yamamoto, M. et al., Insect resistant rice generated by the introduction of a modified 8-endotoxin gene ofBacillus thuringiensis, Bio/Technology, 1993, 11: 1151.Google Scholar
- 11.Dai, S. H., Li, L. C., Ding, Y. Y. et al., Multiple gene transformation of rice using the biolistic method, Acta Genetica Sinica, 1998, 25(4): 345.Google Scholar
- 12.Xu, X. P., Wei, J. W., Fan, Y. L. et al., Fertile transgenic indica rice from microprojectile bombardment of embryonic callus, Acta Genetica Sinica, 1999, 26(3): 219.Google Scholar
- 13.Feng, D. R., Xu, X. P., Wei, J. W. et al., Enhancement of rice disease resistance by two anti-fungal protein genes, Acta Botanica Sinica, 1999, 11: 1126.Google Scholar
- 14.Chomczynsk, P., Sacch, N., Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroforms extraction, Anal. Biochem., 1989, 162: 156.Google Scholar
- 16.Zhao, R. M., Fan, Y. L., Shi, X. P. et al., Highly insect-resistant transgenic tobacco plants containing bothBt andCpTI gene, Chinese Journal of Biotechnology (in Chinese), 1995, 11(1): 1.Google Scholar