Moulting patterns in the silkworm,Bomhyx mori L. (PM × NB4D2) under different photoperiodic conditions
- 13 Downloads
Moulting patterns in the silkworm,Bomhyx mori L. (PM × NB4D2) under different photoperiodic conditions were studied. Moulting phenomenon, inBombyx mori seems to be under the control of the circadian phenomenon. The peaks for the second moult were observed during the dark phase of the photoperiodic schedule expressing nocturnal predominancy. Consequently these peaks for consecutive moults moved into the light part of the 24 h cycle. This clearly demonstrates the instar dependency of the moulting expression. Under LL condition, a damp-out situation in moulting was observed. Moulting durations were greatly affected by photoperiods. Shortest moulting durations were recorded for LD 11:13.
KeywordsMoulting photoperiods Bombyx mori
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anantha Narayana S R, Kastunbai A R and Chandrashekaran M K 1978 Effect of light and darkness on the behaviour ofBombyx mori L.;Indian J. Exp. Biol. 16 922–924Google Scholar
- Beck S D 1980Insect photoperiodism (New York: Academic Press)Google Scholar
- Happ G M 1984 Development and reproduction, part II, Chapter 4; inInsect biology (ed.) H E Evans (London: Addison-Wesley) pp 93–113Google Scholar
- Krishnaswami S 1986New technology of silkworm rearing Bulletin No. 2 (Bangalore: Central Silk Board)Google Scholar
- Pittendrigh C S and Bruce V G 1957 An oscillator model for biological clocks; inRhythmic and synthetic processes in growth (ed.) D Rudnick (Princeton: Princeton Univ. Press) pp 75–109Google Scholar
- Saunders D S 1982Insect clocks 2nd edition (Oxford, New York, Toronto, Sydney, Paris, Frankfurt: Pergamon Press)Google Scholar
- Sivarami Reddy N, Sasira Babu K and Pavan Kumar T 1984 Oscillatory frequencies inBombyx mori, LR (PM) × NB4D2;Sericologia 24 525–545Google Scholar
- Truman J W 1972 Physiology of insect rhythms. I. Circadian organisation of the endocrine events underlying the moulting cycle of larval tobacco hornworms;J. Exp. Biol 54 805–820Google Scholar
- Winfree A T 1970 The temporal morphology of a biological clock; inLectures on mathematics in the life sciences (ed.) M Gerstenhaber (Providence: American Mathematical Society) pp 111–150Google Scholar