Histochemical distribution of tetrazolium reductases, dehydrogenases and lipids in the follicular wall of normal and atretic follicles in the ovary of the Indian gerbilTatera indica (Muridae: Rodentia)
- 14 Downloads
The comparison of the histochemical features of the follicular wall in normal and atretic follicles of corresponding stages in the ovaries of Indian gerbilTatera indica revealed conspicuous changes in amount of lipids and activities of NADH- and NADPH tetrazolium reductases, δ5-3β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase and 17α-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase and succinate- and lactate dehydrogenases in the granulosa layers during follicular growth and atresia. The thecal layers showed a progressive increase in their amounts during follicular growth and these enzymes are not affected significantly by atresia. Atresia resulted in increased amounts of lipids in the granulosa cells and decreased activities of succinate- and lactate dehydrogenases and NADH- and NADPH tetrazolium reductases during latter stages of degeneration.
KeywordsAtresia dehydrogenase follicle granulosa lipids NADH- and NADPH-tetrazolium reductases thecal layer Tatera indica
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Albertini D F 1980 Structural modifications of granulosa cell plasma membrane during folliculogenesis. InBiology of the ovary (eds) P M Motta and E S E Hafez (The Hague, Boston and London; Martinus Nijhoff Publishers) 138–149Google Scholar
- Bjersing L 1978 Maturation, morphology and endocrine function of the follicular wall in mammals. InThe vertebrate ovary (ed) R E Jones (New York and London: Plenum Press) 181–214Google Scholar
- Byskov A G 1978 Follicular atresia. InThe vertebrate ovary (ed) R E Jones (New York and London: Plenum Press) 533–562Google Scholar
- Dimino M J and Campbell M D 1980 The function and differentiation of ovarian mitochondria. InBiology of the ovary (eds) P M Motta and E S E Hafez (The Hague, Boston and London: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers) 191–195Google Scholar
- Guraya S S 1973b Follicular atresia;Proc. Indian Natl. Sci. Acad. B39 311–332Google Scholar
- Guraya S S 1980 Histochemistry of the ovary. InBiology of the ovary (eds) P M Motta and E S E Hafez (The Hague, Boston and London: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers) 33–51 (London: Churchill) 759Google Scholar
- Guraya S S and Gupta S K 1979 Morphology and histochemistry of ovarian changes in the field rat,Millardia meltada;Z. Mikrosk. Anat. Forsch. (Leipzig) 93 959–973Google Scholar
- Hoyer P E 1980 Histoenzymology of the human ovary: Dehydrogenases directly involved in steroidogenesis. InBiology of the ovary (eds) P M Motta and E S E Hafez (The Hague, Boston and London: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers) 52–67Google Scholar
- Lojda Z, Gossrau R and Schieber T H 1979Enzyme histochemistry; (Berlin: Springer Verlag) 339Google Scholar
- Motta P 1972 Histochemicai evidence of early stages of atretic follicles in different mammals;J. Cell Biol. 55 182aGoogle Scholar
- Pearse AGE 1968Histochemistry, theoretical and applied histochemistry, (London: Churchill) 759Google Scholar