Fatigue damage of quasi-isotropic composite laminates under tensile loading in different directions
- 118 Downloads
The purpose of this work is to investigate fatigue damage of quasi-isotropic laminates under tensile loading in different directions. Low cycle fatigue tests of [0/−60/60]s laminates and [30/−30/90]s laminates were carried out. Material systems used are AS4/Epoxy and AS4/PEEK. The fatigue damage of [30/−30/90]s is very different from that of [0/−60/60]s. The experimental results are compared with the result obtained from the method for determining strain energy release rate components proposed by the authors. The analytical results were in good agreement with the experimental results. It is proved that the failure criterion based on the strain energy release rate is an appropriate approach to predict the initiation and growth of delaminations under cyclic loading.
Key WordsQuasi-Isotropic Composite Laminates Fatigue Damage Strain Energy Release Rate (SERR) Tensile Loading
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Armanios, E. A., Rehfield, L. W., Raju, I. S. and O’Brien, T. K., 1989, “Sublaminate Analysis of Interlaminar Fracture in Composite: Part II-Applications,”Journal of Composites Technology & Research, Winter, p. 147.Google Scholar
- Corleto, C. R., and Bradley, W. L., 1989, “Mode II Delamination Fracture Toughness of Unidirectional Graphite/Epoxy Composites,”Composite Materials, Fatigue and Fracture, Second Volume, ASTM STP 1012, p. 201.Google Scholar
- Kim, I. K., et al., 1996, “Fatigue Test of Quasi-Isotropic Composite Laminates Under Tensile Loading in Different Directions,”Proc. of the JSASS/JSME Structures Conf., Vol. 38, p. 201. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Kim, I. K., 1998, “A Simple Method to Calculate Mode Components of Strain Energy Release Rate of Free-Edge Delaminations in Composite Laminates,”KSME International Journal, Vol. 12, No. 4, p. 672.Google Scholar
- O’Brien, T. K., 1982, “Characterization of Delamination Onset and Growth in a Composite Laminates,”Damage in Composite Materials, ASTM STP 775, p. 140.Google Scholar
- Pipes, R. B. and Pagano, N. J., 1970, “Interlaminar Stresses in Composite Laminates Under Uniform Axial Extension,”Journal of Composite Materials, 4, p. 538.Google Scholar
- Prel, Y. J., Davies, P., Benzeggagh, M. L., and de Charentenay, F. X., 1989, “Mode I and Mode II Delamination of Thermosetting and Thermoplastic Composites,”Composite Materials, Fatigue and Fracture, Second Volume, ASTM STP 1012, p. 251.Google Scholar
- Wang, H., Khanh, T. V., and Le, V. N., 1995, “Effects of Large Deflection on Mode II Fracture Test of Composite Materials,”Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 29, No. 6, p. 829.Google Scholar