Nonlinear finite element analysis of composite shell under impact
- 198 Downloads
Large deflection dynamic responses of laminated composite cylindrical shells under impact are analyzed by the geometrically nonlinear finite element method based on a generalized Sander’s shell theory with the first order transverse shear deformation and the von-Karman large deflection assumption. A modified indentation law with inelastic indentation is employed for the contact force. The nonlinear finite element equations of motion of shell and an impactor along with the contact laws are solved numerically using Newmark’s time marching integration scheme in conjunction with Akay type successive iteration in each step. The ply failure region of the laminated shell is estimated using the Tsai-Wu quadratic interaction criteria. Numerical results, including the contact force histories, deflections and strains are presented and compared with the ones by linear analysis. The effect of the radius of curvature on the composite shell behaviors is investigated and discussed.
Key WordsComposite Shell Impact Non-Linear Finite Element Analysis Damage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cho, C. and Zhao, G., 1999, “Dynamic Response and Damage of Composite Shell under Impact,”KSME Int. J., Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 596–608.Google Scholar
- Gibson, R. F., 1994,Principles of Composite Material Mechanics, McGraw Hill, pp. 110–111.Google Scholar
- Rajagopalan, K., 1993,Finite Element Buckling Analysis of Stiffened Cylindrical Shells, A. A. Balkema (Rotterdam), pp. 27–28.Google Scholar
- Reddy, J. N., 1997,Mechanics of Laminated Composite Plates: Theory and Analysis, CRC Press Inc., pp. 141–142.Google Scholar
- Yang, S. H. and Sun, C. T., 1982, “Indentation Law for Composite Laminates,”Composite Materials: Testing and Design, ASTM STP 787, ASTM, pp. 425–449.Google Scholar
- Zhao, G., 2000,Impact Response and Postbuckling Behavior of Composite Cylindrical Shell, Ph. D. Thesis, Inha University, pp. 11–18.Google Scholar