PCR-RFLP analysis of mitochondrial DNA ND5/6 region among 3 subspecies of common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) and its application to genetic discrimination of subspecies
- 38 Downloads
Mitochondrial DNA ND5/6 region was studied by PCR-RFLP analysis among ten representative strains belonging to three subspecies (Cyprinus carpio carpio, Cyprinus carpio haematopterus andCyprinus carpio rubrofuscus) of common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.). A total of 2.4 kb fragment was amplified and subjected to restriction endonuclease analysis with nine restriction endonucleases subsequently. The results indicated that each subspecies owned one hyplotype and four restriction enzymes (Dde I, HaeIII,Taq I andMbo I) produced diagnostic restriction sites which could be used for discriminating the three subspecies and as molecular genetic markers for assistant selective breeding of common carp.
KeywordsCyprinus carpio subspecies ND5/6 PCR-RFLP molecular marker
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Komen, J., Clones of common carp, Cyprinus carpio, New perspectives in fish research, PhD thesis, Wageningen: Wageningen Agricultural University, 1990.Google Scholar
- 2.Chiba, T., Kurihama, N., Kenichi, Y., Culture of common carp (in Japanese), Tokyo: Green Book House Publisher, 1966.Google Scholar
- 3.Wohlfarth, G., Common carp, in Evolution of Domesticated Animals (ed. Mason, I. L.), Lodon: Longman, 1984, 375–380.Google Scholar
- 4.Wu, X. W. et al., Monographs of Cyprininae in China (in Chiense), Shanghai: Shanghai People’s Publisher, 1977, 408–428.Google Scholar
- 5.Avise, J. C., Molecular Markers, Natural History and Evolution, New York: Chapman & Hall, 1994.Google Scholar
- 6.Sambrook, J., Fritsch, E. F., Maniatis, T., Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual (2nd ed.), Now York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, 1989.Google Scholar
- 7.Park, K. L., Brainard, M. A., Dightman, D. A. et al., Low levels of intraspecific variation in the mitochondrial DNA of chum salmo (Onchorhynchus keta), Mol. Mar. Biol. Biotechnol., 1993, 2: 263–270.Google Scholar
- 8.McElroy, D., Moran, P., Bermingham, E. et al., REAP: An integrated environment for the manipulation and phylogenetic analysis of restriction data, J. Hered., 1992, 83: 157–158.Google Scholar
- 10.Nei, M., Molecular Evolutionary Genetics, New York: Columbia University Press, 1987.Google Scholar
- 11.Kumar, S., Tamura, K., Jakobsen, I. B., MEGA 2: Molecular evolutionary genetics analysis software, Tempe: Arizona State University, 2001.Google Scholar