Induction of matrix metalloproteinase-9 and -2 activity in mouse blastocyst by fibronectin-integrin interaction
Fibronectin, a major extracellular matrix, plays an important role in embryo implantation by mediating embryo adhesion and outgrowth. In this work, mouse blastocysts produced pro-matrix metalloproteinase-9, pro-matrix metalloproteinase-2 and 64 ku matrix metalloproteinase-2 when they were co-cultured with fibronectin. In contrast, mouse blastocysts did not produce these proteinases without fibronectin. Focal adhesion kinase is a fundamental molecule of integrin signaling pathway and its antisense oligodeoxynucleiotide inhibited blastocyst matrix metalloproteinases expression induced by fibronectin. The results indicated that fibronectin triggered matrix metalloproteinase-9 and -2 expression in mouse blastocyst through its integrin receptors and subsequent signaling pathway, which enhanced the synchronization of blastocyst invasiveness and uterine receptivity and ensured the accuracy of events relative to implantation in timing and spatiality.
Keywordsfibronectin focal adhesion kinase (pp125FAK) blastocyst matrix metalloproteinase-9 matrix metalloproteinase-2
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Burrows, T. D., King, A., Loke, Y. W., Trophoblast migration during human placental implantation, Human Reproduction, 1996, 12(4): 307.Google Scholar
- 5.Shi, X. L., Wang, J., Zhu, D. S. et al., Changes of extracellular matrix contents in estrus cycle and early pregnancy in mouse. Journal of Reproductive Medicine (in Chinese), 1996, 5(4): 222.Google Scholar
- 11.Burrows, T. D., King, A., Loke, Y. W., Expression of integrins by human trophoblast and differential adhesion to laminin or fibronectin, Human Reproduction, 1993, 10: 475.Google Scholar
- 13.Calalb, E. A., Polte, T. R., Hanks, S. K., Tyrosine phosphorylation of focal adhesion kinase at sites in the catalytic domain regulates kinase activity: A role for Src family kinases, Mil. Cell Biol., 1995, 15: 954.Google Scholar
- 14.Schlaepfer, D. D., Hanks, S. K., Hunter, T. et al., Integrin-mediated signal transduction linked to Ras pathway by Grb: binding to focal adhesion kinase, Nature, 1994, 372: 786.Google Scholar
- 15.Harvey, M. B., Leco, K. J., Arcellana-Panlilio, M. Y., Roles of growth factors during peri-implantation development, Mol. Hum. Reprod., 1995, 10(3): 712.Google Scholar
- 18.Denker, H. W., Cell biology of endometrial receptivity and of trophoblast-endometrial interactions, in Endocrinology of Embryo-endometrium Interactions (ed. Glasser, S. R.), New York: Plenum Press, 1994, 17–23.Google Scholar