Ionization effects from cosmic sources of x-rays in the lower atmosphere
- 20 Downloads
Detectable ionization effects in the ionosphericD-region from individual, strong and steady x-ray sources such as Sco X-1 and transient x-ray sources such as Cet X-2 have been reported by us and many others previously based on the field strength and phase variations of the VLF data. As a follow up to these investigations, we have examined the integrated effects of many of the known x-ray sources discovered by UHURU, ANS, Ariel V and SAS-3 satellites, in order to understand the totality of their effects. These effects are examined in the present paper for 0° and +38° geographic latitudes corresponding to midnight conditions and for different times of the year. Such effects are compared, in turn, with those of the known steady sources responsible forD-region ionization such as Lyman-alpha and galactic cosmic radiations. The results are presented as profiles of electron production rates as a function of height. Our study leads to the conclusion that there should be detectable annual variations of the electron density which are pronounced around May-August. Further, the results of the computations on electron production rates corresponding to the spectacular x-ray nova A0620-00 are also included in the present paper.
KeywordsD-region ionization x-ray sources x-ray nova
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Charman W Net al 1970 IAU Symp 37 on Nonsolar X and gamma ray astronomyGoogle Scholar
- Elliot J L 1972 SAO special rep. 341Google Scholar
- Giacconi Ret al 1974Astrophys. J. Suppl.27 37Google Scholar
- Hill R W, Burginyon G A and Seward F D 1975, UCRL preprint No. 76383Google Scholar
- Jayathi U B 1973Studies in x-ray Astronomy Ph.D. thesis Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad, IndiaGoogle Scholar
- Jones C 1976 Center for Astrophysics preprint No. 655Google Scholar
- Margon B, Bowyer S, Campton M and Cruddace R 1971Astrophys. J. Lett. 169 145Google Scholar
- Matilsky Tet al 1976Astrophys. J. lett. (submitted)Google Scholar
- Mitra A P 1968J. Atmos. Terr. Phys. 30 1065Google Scholar
- O'Mongain E and Weeks T C 1974 Centre for Astrophys. preprint No. 65Google Scholar
- Weeks T C 1976 Centre for Astrophysics. preprint 498Google Scholar