Investigation on the flow characteristics inside an automotive HVAC system with varying ventilation mode
- 292 Downloads
The ventilation flow in a heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) module of a passenger car was investigated experimentally. Three different ventilation modes with varying temperature mode were tested to study the effect of ventilation mode on the velocity field inside the HVAC module. For each mode, more than 450 instantaneous velocity fields were measured using a particle image velocimetry (PIV) velocity field measurement technique. The instantaneous velocity fields were ensemble averaged to obtain the spatial distribution of mean velocity and spanwise vorticity. The present work highlights the usefulness of the PIV technique for the analysis of the flow inside an HVAC module. The experimental results can be used not only to understand and improve the ventilation flow of an HVAC module but also to validate numerical predictions.
KeywordsHVAC PIV ventilation mode temperature mode flow visualization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aroussi, A., Abdul Ghani S. A. A. and Rice, E., PIV Measurement and Numerical Simulation of Airflow Field in a Road Vehicle HVAC Cowl Box, SAE technical paper, (2001), 2001-01-0294.Google Scholar
- Bennett, L., Dixon, C. W. S. and Watkins, S., Modeling and Testing of Air Flow in a HVAC Module, SAE technical paper, (2002), 2002-01-0506.Google Scholar
- Cho, N. H. and Kim, M. R., Numerical Investigation of Fluid Flow in an Automotive HVAC Module, SAE paper, (1997), 971778.Google Scholar
- Currie, J., Numerical Simulation of the Flow in a Passenger Compartment and Evaluation of the Thermal Comfort of the Occupants, SAE paper, (1997), 970529.Google Scholar
- Ishihara, Y., Shibata, M., Hoshino, H., Hara, J. and Kamemoto, K., Analysis of Interior Airflow in a Full-scale Passenger Compartment Model Using a Laser-light-sheet Methods, SAE paper, (1992), 920206.Google Scholar
- James, L., Ken, H. and Karim, N., Design and Development of a Cylindrical HVAC Case, SAE technical paper, (2004), 2004-01-1385.Google Scholar
- Lin, C. H., Experimental and Computational Studies of Flow in a Simplified HVAC Duct, International Journal of Vehicle Design, 15 (1994), 147–165.Google Scholar
- Shojaee, M. H., Tehrani, F. P. H., Noorpoor, A. R. and Adili, M. R., Analysis of Vehicle Passenger Compartment HVAC Using Simulation, SAE technical paper, (2004), 2004-01-1505.Google Scholar
- Wan, J. W. and Kooi, J., Influence of the Position of Supply and Exhaust Opening on Comfort in a Passenger Vehicle, International Journal of Vehicle Design, 12 (1991), 588–597.Google Scholar