Knee arthrodesis using the Ilizarov technique
Arthrodesis of the knee without or with simultaneous lengthening.
Severe degenerative osteoarthritis in younger patients.
Neuropathic joint with bone loss and/or ligamentous instability.
Failed total knee arthroplasty.
Absolute: extensive osteomyelitis.
Relative: severe bone deficiency.
In elderly patients a simultaneous limb lengthening constitutes a relative contraindication.
For primary arthrodesis: resection of articular cartilage and subchondral bone.
For aseptic loosening: removal of components and alignment of bone ends.
For infected total joint: 2-stage procedure.
In all instances obtain a slight flexion at the arthrodesis. Temporary fixation with crossed Kirschner wires. Application of Ilizarov frame and compression. For lengthening: Ilizarov distraction method.
Between 1993 and 1996, 11 patients underwent an Ilizarov knee arthrodesis with an average follow-up interval of 35 months. Indications included: severe osteoarthritis, 2: ligament instability in spina bifida patient, 1; and failed total knee arthroplasty, 8. Three patients developed a pseudarthrosis, all were noted to have a severe bone loss. Two of these patients were fitted with an orthosis and the 3rd underwent a successful AO double plate fixation. Removal of wires on account of infection was needed twice. Average time to union was 4.5 months.
Key WordsKnee arthrodesis Failed total knee arthroplasty Ilizarov technique
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Dadid R, Shtarker H, Gorelic L, Soudry M. Arthrodesis after failed knee arthroplasty with Ilizarov apparatus. Presentation at the Sixth Annual ASAMI Scientific Meeting, Atlanta, GA, February 21, 1996.Google Scholar
- 3.Donley BG, Matthews LS, Kaufer H. Arthrodesis of the knee with an intramedullary nail. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1991;73:907–13.Google Scholar
- 4.Ellingsen DE, Rand JA. Intramedullary arthrodesis of the knee after failed total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1994;76:870–7.Google Scholar
- 5.Feibel RJ, Fleuriau Chateau P. The value of the Engh bone defect score in Ilizarov knee arthrodesis. Presented at the ASAMI North America, New Orleans, March 1998.Google Scholar
- 8.Lehman D. Atlas of cross sectional anatomy. Philadelphia: Raven Press, 1989.Google Scholar
- 10.Nichols SJ, Landon GC, Tullos HS. Arthrodesis with dual plates after failed total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1991;73:1020–4.Google Scholar
- 11.Puranen J, Kortelainen P, Jalovaara P. Arthrodesis of the knee with intramedullary nail fixation. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1990;72:433–42.Google Scholar
- 12.Rand JA. Alternatives to reimplantation for salvage of the total knee arthroplasty complicated by infection. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1993;75:282–9.Google Scholar
- 13.Rand JA, Bryan RS, Chao EYS. Failed total knee arthroplasty treated by arthrodesis of the knee using the Ace-Fischer apparatus. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1987;69:39–45.Google Scholar