Energy transfer efficiency in three hymenopteran egg parasitoids ofHomoeocerus prominulus (Tagus) (Insecta: Heteroptera: Coreidae)
- 12 Downloads
Energy budgets of the solitary egg parasitoids,Anastatus ramakrishnae (Mani) andTrissolcus sp., and a gregarious egg parasitoid,Xenoencyrtus sp. nearniger Riek on the eggs ofHomoeocerus prominulus have been compared. Energy allocation for consumption, assimilation and metabolism were greater in the gregarious parasitoid than in the solitary parasitoids; on the other hand, higher production efficiency and lower assimilation efficiency were noticed in the solitary parasitoids than in the gregarious parasitoids. The rate of consumption, assimilation, production and metabolism of gregarious and solitary parasitoids have been compared in the light of their reproductive efficiencies.
KeywordsBioenergetics hymenopteran parasitoids coreid host
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cameron R A D and Redfern M 1974 A simple study in ecological energetics using a gall-fly and its insect parasites;J. Biol. Educ. 8 75–82Google Scholar
- Chlodny J 1968 Evaluation of some parameters of the individual energy budget ofPteromalus puparium (L) (Pteromalidae) andPimpla instigator (Fabr.) (Ichneumonidae);Ekol. Pol. A16 505–513Google Scholar
- Kfir R and Rosen D 1981a Biology of the hyperparasiteCheiloneurus paralia (Walker) (Hymenoptera: Encyrtidae) reared onMicroterys flavus (Howard) in brown soft scale;J. Entomol. Soc. South Afr. 44 131–139Google Scholar
- Kfir R and Rosen D 1981b Biology of the hyperparasiteMarietta javensis (Howard) (Hymenoptera: Aphelinidae) reared onMicroterys flavus (Howard) in brown soft scale;J. Entomol. Soc. South Afr. 44 141–150Google Scholar
- Kfir R and Rosen D 1981c Biology of the hyperparasitePachyneuron concolor (Forster) (Hymenoptera: Pteromalidae) reared onMicroterys flavus (Howard) in brown soft scale;J. Entomol. Soc. South Afr. 44 151–163Google Scholar
- Muthukrishnan J and Pandian T J 1986 Insect energetics; inAnimal energetics (eds) T J Pandian and F J Vernberg (New York: Academic Press) pp 373–511Google Scholar
- Petrusewicz K and MacFadyen A 1970Productivity of terrestrial animals, Principles and Methods; IBP Handbook No. 13. (Oxford: Blackwell)Google Scholar
- Slansky F Jr and Scriber J M 1985 Food consumption and utilization;Comp. Insect Physiol. Biochem. Pharmacol. 4 87–163Google Scholar
- Varley G C 1961 Conversion rates in hyperparasitic insects;Proc. R. Entomol. Soc. London C26 11Google Scholar
- Weseloh R M 1969 Biology ofChiloneurus noxius with emphasis on host relationships and oviposition behaviour;Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 62 299–305Google Scholar