Life table for the castor capsule borer,Dichocrocis punctiferalis Gn. on different hosts
- 34 Downloads
Castor capsule borer,Dichocrocis punctiferalis Gn. is the most destructive pest of castor seed in India. Studies on the rate of multiplication were carried out at a constant temperature of 27±2°C under a limited space and sufficient food supply, the population increasedwith an infinitesimal rate (rm) of 0·0736, 0·0416, 0·0669, 0· 0492 and 0· 0864 and finite rate (λ) 1· 0763, 1· 0424, 1· 0691, 1· 0504 and 1· 0902 per female per day on maize, brinjal, bhindi, bottlegourd and pomegranate respectively. The net reproductive rate (R o) was maximum (20· 19) on pomegranate. The popualtion on reaching a stable age distribution, in all the hosts, comprised approximately 97 per cent of the immature stages.
KeywordsLife table Dichocrocis punctiferalis Gn
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Atwal A S and Bains S S 1974Applied Animal Ecology (Ludhiana: Kalyani Publishers) pp. 128–138Google Scholar
- Bilapate G G and Talati G M 1977a Field observations on the susceptibility of castor toDichocrocis punctiferalis Guen;Madras Agric. J. 64 407–408Google Scholar
- Bilapate G G, Pawar Y M and Raodeo A K 1977b Growth of population ofHeliothisarmigera Hbn. on lucerne;Indian J. Agric. Sci. 47 540–542Google Scholar
- Bilapate G G 1977c Studies on the growth of population ofDichocrocis punctiferalis Gn. on castor;J. Maharashtra Agric. Univ. 2 246–248Google Scholar
- Bilapate G G, Pawar V M and Gaikwad B B 1978 The rate of increase in numbers ofHeliothis armigera Hbn. on lima bean;J. Maharashtra Agric. Univ. (in press)Google Scholar
- David B V, Narayanaswamy P S and Murugesan M 1964 Bionomics and control of the castor shoot and capsule borer,Dichocrocis (conogethes)punctiferalis Gn. in Madras State;Indian O. J. 8 146–59Google Scholar
- Mishra S C and Teotia T P S 1965 Studies on biology of castor shoot and capsule borer,Dichocrocis punctiferalis Gn;Indian O. J. 9 184–87Google Scholar
- Patel B K and Gangrade G A 1971 Note on biology of castor capsule borer;Indian J. Agric. Sci. 41 442–44Google Scholar