Cost of treating heart failure in an Irish teaching hospital
- 91 Downloads
The prevalence of heart failure is 3 to 20 per 1,000 population, but may exceed 100 per 1,000 in the over 65 age group. Some 1–2% of the total healthcare budget is consumed in the management of heart failure.
As hospital costs account for approximately 70% of this expenditure we determined the cost of treating heart failure in an Irish teaching hospital.
Cost evaluation was from the hospital perspective using a microcosting detailed collection of resources used.
The average cost of a hospital admission for cardiac failure was IR£2,146. The average cost per day was IR£193. Approximately 75% of hospital costs were associated with ward costs. Medications accounted for 3.5% of total costs.
The availability of Irish cost data is essential for the assessment of the cost-effectiveness of therapeutic interventions for the treatment of heart failure in our healthcare system.
KeywordsHeart Failure Digoxin Chronic Heart Failure Cardiac Failure Irish Journal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.McMurray JJV, Petrie MC, Murdoch DR, Davie AR. Clinical epidemiology of heart failure: public and private health burden.Eur Heart J 1998; 19 (Suppl P): 9–16Google Scholar
- 3.Parameshwar J, Poole-Wilson PA, Sutton GC. Heart failure in a district general hospital.JR Coll Physicians Lond 1992; 26: 139–42Google Scholar
- 10.Cheeseman MG, Leech G, Chambers J et al. Central role of echocardiography in the diagnosis and assessment of heart failure.Heart 1998; 80 (Suppl): 1–5Google Scholar
- 11.Loeb HS, Johnson G, Henrick A et al. Effect of enalapril, hydralazine plus isosorbide dinitrate and prazosin on hospitalisation in patients with chronic congestive cardiac failure.Circulation 1993; 87 (Suppl VI): 178–87Google Scholar
- 12.Studies of Left Ventricular Dysfunction (SOLVD) Investigators. Effect of enalapril on survival in patients with reduced left ventricular ejection fractions and congestive heart failure.N Engl J Med 1991; 325: 293–302Google Scholar
- 13.CONSENSUS Trial Study Group. Effects of enalapril on mortality in severe congestive heart failure.N Engl J Med 1987; 316: 1429–35Google Scholar
- 14.McMurray J, Hart W, Rhodes G. An evaluation of the cost of heart failure to the National Health Service in the UK.Br J Med Econ 1993; 6: 91–8Google Scholar
- 15.Packer M, Poole-Wilson P, Armstrong P et al. Comparative effects of low dose versus high dose lisinopril on survival and major events in chronic heart failure: the Assessment of Treatment with Lisinopril and Survival study (ATLAS).Eur Heart J 1998; (Abstract) 142Google Scholar
- 20.Cleland JGF. Health economic consequences of the pharmacological treatment of heart failure.Eur Heart J 1998; 19 (Suppl P): 32–9Google Scholar