Samarskite from Nellore District
- 11 Downloads
A typical sample of samarskite has been analysed and the results reported.
The thoria content of the sample is 1·98%.
The percentage of cerium earths present in this sample is relatively much smaller than found in samples from North America. Our sample contains 0·4% ceria.
Hexavalent uranium has not been found in the sample but this is of no special significance.
The radium contents is 1·0 gr. in 39· 71 tons and the Nellore samarskite is nearly as rich as Katanga Carnotite in this element.
KeywordsUranium Rare Earth Thoria Iodate Hexamine
- 1.Karunakaran and NeelakantamProc. Ind. Acad. Sci., 1947,25 A, 404.Google Scholar
- 2.SpencerThe Metals of the Rare Earths, 1919,13,Google Scholar
- 3.—Physics of the Earth, 1931,4, 99.Google Scholar
- 4.J. L. SmithAm. J. Sci., 1877,13, 359.Google Scholar
- 5.AllenIbid.,, 1877,14, 128.Google Scholar
- 7.GirottoChemical Abstracts, 1941, 3557.Google Scholar
- 8.Schoeller and PowellThe Analysis of Minerals and Ores of the Rarer Elements, 1940.Google Scholar
- 9.L. D. Roberts ScottStandard Methods of Chemical Analysis, 1939,1, 767.Google Scholar
- 10.Karunakaran and NeelakantamJ. Sci. Ind. Res., 1946,5 B, 36.Google Scholar