Studies on tuber hemicelluloses
- 13 Downloads
The hemicelluloses of the tubers ofAsparagus racemosus Willd. have been isolated and chemically examined. Two fractions,viz., A2 and B2 of Norris and Preece designation, have been obtained.
Both the fractions are constituted from the same sugar and uronic acid, namely, glucose and galacturonic acid but in different proportions. In hemicellulose A2 the molecular ratio of these compounds is 10:1, while in B2 it is 5:2. Under conditions of partial hydrolysis, both the fractions give rise to glucose and a gluco-galacturonic acid.
KeywordsHemicellulose Sulphuric Acid Uronic Acid Galacturonic Acid Partial Hydrolysis
- 1.Rao, P. S., Beri, R. M. and Budhiraja, R. P...J. Sci. and Ind. Res., 1951,10 B, 261.Google Scholar
- 2.Norman, A. G...Biochem. J., 1937,31, 1579.Google Scholar
- 3.Norris, F. W. and Preece, I. A...Ibid., 193024, 59.Google Scholar
- 4.Rao, P. S...Science and Culture, 1951,17, 90.Google Scholar
- 5.Rao, P. S. and Budhiraja, R. P...J. Sci. and Ind. Res., 1952,11B, 209.Google Scholar
- 6.Rao, P. S. and Rozdon, O. N...Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci., 1950,31, 441.Google Scholar
- 7.Rao, P. S. and Gakhar, K. L...Ibid., 1952,35, 310.Google Scholar
- 8.Tollen, B...Ber., 1908,41, 1788.Google Scholar
- 10. (a)Rao, P. S. and Beri, R. M...Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci., 1951,33, 368.Google Scholar
- 10. (b)Rao, P. S.,et al...Ibid., 1951,34, 236.Google Scholar
- 11.Ohle, H. and Berend, G...Ber., 1925,58, 2585.Google Scholar