A new needle-crystalline computed radiography detector
- 93 Downloads
The most successful digital radiography detectors to date have been storage phosphor plates used in computed radiography (CR). The detector is cheap, has good producibility, and is robust. Direct radiography (DR) systems are being developed based on flat-panel technology. Better image quality is claimed for some DR systems. On the other hand, DR detectors have low producibility and robustness, and a high price. A new CR detector is being developed at Agfa that combines the advantages of CR and DR. It is a storage phosphor plate made up of needle-shaped crystals. The phosphor efficiently converts absorbed x-ray quanta into photostimulable centers for efficient read out. It has a large dynamic range and its emision is efficiently detected with both photomultiplier tube (PMT) and charge coupled device (CCD). It is shown that CR systems based on the new detector offer image quality that matches that of the best DR systems.
KeywordsCompute Radiography CsBr Storage Phosphor RbBr Detective Quantum Efficiency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hillen, W, Eckenbach W, Quadflieg P, et al: Signal-to-noise performance in cesium iodide x-ray fluorescent screens. SPIE Med Imaging 1443:120–131, 1991Google Scholar
- 3.Nakazawa M, Morikawa O, Nitta M, et al: Effect of protective layer on resolution properties of photostimulable phosphor detector for digital radiographic system. SPIE Med Imaging 1231:350, 1990Google Scholar
- 4.Lubinsky, AR, Whiting BR, Owen JF: Storage phosphor system for computed radiography: Optical effects and detective quantum efficiency (DQE). SPIE Med Imaging 767:167, 1987Google Scholar
- 5.Shaw R, Van Metter RL: An analysis of the fundamental limitations of screen-film systems for x-ray detection II, model calculations. SPIE Med Imaging. 454:128, 1984Google Scholar
- 7.Siewerdsen JH: Signal, noise, and detective quantum efficiency of a-Si:H flat-panel imagers. Dissertation, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1998Google Scholar
- 9.Granfors PR: Performance characteristics of an amorphous silicon flat panel x-ray imaging detector. SPIE Med Imaging 3659:480, 1999Google Scholar