Axially symmetric electron beam trajectory simulation
- 48 Downloads
An axially symmetric simulator for the Schottky emission gun has been developed using the boundary-fitted coordinate transformation method. The domain decomposition method is successfully employed with multi-layer overlapping, which allows complicated electrode structures to be modeled and the electric potential computation to converge quickly. The angular intensity distribution of Swanson’s Schottky emission gun is analyzed, and good agreement is seen with his experimental data. The simulation results show that angular intensity and virtual source size are remarkably dependent on the real emitter size.
Key wordselectron gun simulation electric field beam trajectory electron microscope
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D.W. Tuggle and L.W. Swanson, Emission characteristics of the ZrO/W thermal field electron source. J. Vac. Sci. Technol.,B3(1), Jan/Feb (1985), 220–223.Google Scholar
- L.W. Swanson and G.A. Schwind, Handbook of Charged Particle Optics. CRC Press, NY, 1997, 77–102.Google Scholar
- N.K. Kang, D.W. Tuggle and L.W. Swanson, A numerical analysis of the electric field and trajectories with and without the effect of the space charge for a field electron source. Optik,63, No. 4 (1983), 313–331.Google Scholar
- A. Takaoka and K. Ura, Analysis of space-charge-limited LaB6 electron gun. Optik,75, No. 1 (1986), 20–25.Google Scholar
- X. Zhu and E. Munro, A computer program for electron gun design using second-order finite elements. J. Vac. Sci. Technol.,B7, Nov/Dec (1989), 1862–1869.Google Scholar
- Y. Ose, Y. Higuchi and S. Shirakawa, Three-dimensional numerical simulation of secondary electron beam trajectory for SEM. Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser. No. 119, EAMG 91, 1991, 201–204.Google Scholar
- M.J. Fransen, J.S. Faber, Th.L. van Rooy, P.C. Tiemeijer and P. Kruit, Experimental evaluation of the extended Schottky model for ZrO/W electron emission. J. Vac. Sci. Technol.,B16, Jul/Aug (1998), 2063–2072.Google Scholar
- P.W. Hawkes and E. Kasper, Principles of Electron Optics (Vol.2). Academic Press, NY, 1996, Chap. 45.Google Scholar