In vivo kinetics of99mTc labeled recombinant tissue plasminogen activator in rabbits
- 17 Downloads
Our previous studies demonstrated that99mTc labeled recombinant tissue plasminogen activator (rt-PA) retained high affinity with fibrinin vitro but showed unexpectedly low uptake in fresh thrombiin vivo. The present study was performed to determine thein vivo kinetics of radiolabeled t-PA in the rabbit.
Sequential images and blood samples after the intravenous administration of99mTc labeled rt-PA in thrombus-bearing rabbits were taken. The radioactivity and immunological level of t-PA and PAI-1 in the solution eluted to each fraction by gel permeation chromatography were measured by means of a well scintillation counter and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). Most of the radioactivity was eluted in the fraction (Fr. 7) of larger molecular weight than that (Fr. 9) of intact t-PA. The level of intact rt-PA was increased with a regimen involving the preadministration of cold rt-PA which was followed by the administration of hot rt-PA. The level of PAI-1 in plasma showed an increased rebound 15 minutes after the intravenous injection. These results suggest two possible reasons why rt-PA retains high affinity with fibrinin vitro, once radiolabeled, but was ineffective in delineating fresh thrombi with a gamma camera: 1) some plasma components such as PAI-1 combine with circulating radiolabeled rt-PA and form a larger molecule immediately and/or 2) radiolabeled rt-PA is modulated as a consequence of the radiolabeling and forms a larger molecule than intact rt-PA.
Key wordsrecombinant tissue plasminogen activator radiolabeling pharmacokinetics animal study
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Khon KA, Knight LC. Radiopharmaceuticals for thrombus detection: selection, preparation, and critical evaluation.Semin Nucl Med 12: 219–228, 1985.Google Scholar
- 9.Verheijen JH, Chang GTG, Kluft C. Evidence for the occurrence of a fast-acting inhibitor for tissue-type plasminogen activator in human plasma.Thromb Haemastas 51: 392–395, 1984.Google Scholar
- 12.Sawa H, Fujii S, Sobel BE. Augmented arterial wall expression of type-1 plasminogen activator inhibitor induced by thrombosis.Arterioscler and Thromb 12: 1507–1515, 1992.Google Scholar
- 15.Bennet WF, Poani NF, Keyt BA, Botstein BA, Jones AJS, Presta L, et al. High resolution analysis of functional determination on human tissue-type plasminogen activator.J Biol Chem 266: 5191–5201, 1991.Google Scholar
- 17.Fry ETA, Mack DL, Monge JC, Billadello JJ, Sobel BE. Labeling of human clotsin vitro with an active-site mutant of t-PA.J Nucl Med 30: 187–191, 1990.Google Scholar