Evaluation of four radiopharmaceuticals for imaging inflammation in a rabbit model of arthritis
- 30 Downloads
We compared the utility of four radiopharmaceuticals;111In-chloride,67Ga-citrate,111In labeled leukocytes (WBCs) and99mTc-MDP for assessing the inflammatory response in antigen induced arthritis in a rabbit model. A total of 20 rabbits, divided into four equal groups, were included in this study. Each group was studied twice with a single radiotracer: a baseline study and a follow-up study after induction of the arthritis. Knee to knee, knee to whole body, and knee to liver (except for the group studied with99mTc-MDP) ratios were generated. Knee to knee ratios showed no significant change from baseline to arthritis studies in any of the four groups.
Significantly increased knee to total body ratios were seen in all of the groups, except for the group studied with99mTc-MDP. The greatest increase was seen in the group studied with111In-chloride. Significantly increased knee to liver ratios were observed in all three groups for which these ratios were generated and again the greatest increase was observed in the group studied with111In-chloride. In summary, based on the higher uptake observed in this group, of the four radiotracers evaluated,111In-chloride is probably the most useful for monitoring the inflammatory response in antigen induced arthritis. The symmetry of the response suggests that it may also be useful in monitoring the response to therapy.
Key wordsimaging joint inflammation antigen induced arthritis in rabbits 111In-chloride 67Gacitrate 111In-WBCs 99mTc-MDP
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Thakur ML, Lavender JP, Arnot RN, Silvester DJ, Segal AW. Indium-111-labeled autologous leukocytes in man.J Nucl Med 18: 1012–1019, 1977.Google Scholar
- 9.Cooke TDV. Antigen-induced arthritis, polyarthritis, and tenosynovitis.In Handbook of animal models for the rheumatic diseases. Vol. I, Greenwald RA, Diamond HS (eds.), Boca Raton, FL, CRC Press, pp. 53–81, 1988.Google Scholar
- 10.Kozma C, Macklin W, Cummins LM, Mauer R. Anatomy, physiology, and biochemistry of the rabbit.In The biology of the laboratory rabbit. Weisbroth SH, Flatt RE, Kraus AL (eds.), New York, Academic Press, pp. 50–72, 1974.Google Scholar
- 11.McAfee JG. Importance of cell-labeling techniques.In Indium-111 labeled neutrophils, platelets, and lymphocytes. Thakur ML, Gottschalk A (eds.), New York, Trivirum Publishing Company, pp. 1–6, 1980.Google Scholar
- 12.Goodwin DA, Doherty PW, McDougall IR. Clinical use of indium-111-labeled white cells: an analysis of 312 cases.In Indium-111 labeled neutrophils, platelets, and lymphocytes. Thakur ML, Gottschalk A (eds.), New York, Trivirum Publishing Company, pp. 131–144, 1980.Google Scholar