Chemically induced dynamic electron polarization of C60 nitroxide bisadducts and spin multiplicity of their excited states
- 75 Downloads
A series of biradicals consisting of a C60 linked to two nitroxide addends have been studied by time-resolved electron paramagnetic resonance (TR-EPR) spectroscopy. The series includes all four trans bisadducts and the equatorial isomer. After a visible laser pulse, the bisadducts in toluene liquid solution show chemically induced dynamic electron polarization (CIDEP) effects with a complex pattern of narrow lines in emission and enhanced absorption. From the knowledge of the sign of exchange interaction between the two nitroxide moieties, it was possible to account for the CIDEP effect in terms of an intramolecular triplet-triplet annihilation. A broad signal attributed to the quintet excited state was observed at short time delay after the laser pulse. The TR-EPR spectra recorded at low temperature in glassy matrix are assigned to an excited triplet state localized on the C60, with a small interaction with the spins of the two nitroxide fragments. The assignment is based on spectral simulation and analysis of the transient nutation frequency. The small exchange interaction between excited triplet C60 and nitroxide is shown to depend on the nature of the nitroxide addend.
KeywordsFullerene Electron Paramagnetic Resonance Spectrum Nitroxide Nitroxide Group Spin Multiplicity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Salikhov K.M., Molin Yu.N., Sagdeev R.Z., Buchachenko A.L.: Spin Polarization and Magnetic Effects in Radical Reaction. Amsterdam: Elsevier 1984.Google Scholar
- 5.Muus L., Atkins P.W., McLauchlan K.A., Pedersen J.B.: Chemical Induced Polarisation. Dordrecht: Reidel 1977.Google Scholar
- 16.Swemberg C.E., Geacintov N.E. in: Organic Photophysics (Birks J.B., ed.), vol. 1. New York: Wiley-Interscience 1973.Google Scholar
- 17.Luckhurst G.R. in: Spin Labeling. Theory and Applications (Berliner L.J., ed.). New York: Academic Press 1976.Google Scholar
- 20.Bencini A., Gatteschi D.: Electron Paramagnetic Resonance of Exchange Coupled Systems. Berlin: Springer 1990.Google Scholar
- 22.Mazzoni M., Conti F., Corvaja C.: Appl. Magn. Reson.18, 351–361 (2000)Google Scholar