Antibodies to glycoconjugates in human motor neuron disease
- 12 Downloads
IgM monoclonal gammopathy has been reported in some patients with motor neuron disease. The monoclonal IgMs in several of the patients bind to the carbohydrate epitope Gal (β1–3) GalNAc, which is shared by gangliosides GM1 and GD1b and glycoproteins in the nervous system and crossreacted with Gal (β1–3) G1cNAc. They also immunostain spinal cord and gray matter and presynaptic terminals of motor neurons at the neuromuscular junction. The role and mechanisms of action of these antibodies in motor neuron disease is under investigation.
Index EntriesMotor neurons, degeneration of autoimmune mechanisms monoclonal antibodies glycolipids and gangliosides
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ilyas A., Willison H., Dalakas M., Li S., Chow K., Jungalwala F., Whitaker J., and Quarles R. (1987) Identification and characterization of gangliosides reacting with IgM paraproteins in three particular with neuropathy associated with biclimal gammopathy.J. Neurochem. 51, 851–858.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kelly J. J., Jr., Kyle R. A., and Latov N. (1987) Polyneuropathies associated with plasma cell dyscarsias. Martinus Nighoff, Boston, MA.Google Scholar
- Latov N. (1987) Peripheral neuropathy and IgM monoclonal gammopathy,Clinical Neuroimmunology Aarli J. A., Behan W. M. H., and Behan P. O., eds.) pp 214–224, Blackwell, London.Google Scholar
- Latov N., Hays A. P., Donofrio P. D., Liao J., Ito H., McGinnis S., Manoussos K., Freddo L., Shy M. E., Sherman W. H., Chang H. W., Greenberg H. S., Albers J. W., Alessi A. G., Keren D., Yu R. K., Rowland L. P., and Kabat E. A. (1988b) Monoclonal IgM with unique specificity to gnagliosides GM1 and GD1b and to lacto-N-tetraose assoicated with human motor neuron disease.Neurology 38, 763–768.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Martucci G., Thomas F. P., Hays A. P., Latov N., and Miranda A. F. (1988) A monoclonal IgM antibody from a patient with lower motor neuron disease binds to cell surfaces in fetal mouse spinal cord cultures (abstract).Ann. Neurol. 24, 167.Google Scholar
- Nobile-Orazio E., Daverio R., Meucci N., Silani V., Barbieri S., Sonnino S., Bevilacqua L., and Scarlato G. (1988) Monoclonal gammopathy and antiglycolipids IgM antibodies in patients with motor neuron disease (abstract).J. Neurol. 235, 563.Google Scholar
- Thomas F. P. and Latov N. (1988) IgM monoclonal antibodies from two patients with lower motor neuron disease which bind to gangliosides GM1 and GD1b, also cross react with neural glycoproteins (abstract).Ann. Neurol. 24, 143.Google Scholar
- Thomas F. P., Adapon P. H., Goldberg G., Latov N., and Hays A. P. (1989) Localization of neural epitopes that bind to IgM monoclonal autoantibodies (M-proteins) from two patients with motor neuron diseaseJ. Neuroimmunology (in press).Google Scholar