Grain boundary motion in vanadium
Grain boundary motion has been investigated “in situ” in 99,9% purity V sheets in a microscope. The individual grain boundary motion has been followed by the grooves etched thermally on the surface of the sample. The velocity of individual grain boundaries has been measured and compared to the average velocity determined from the normal grain growth law. An analysis of the relation between the velocity of curved boundaries and their curvature is given. The results obtained prove that in the applied experimental circumstances the driving force of the grain boundary motion is the surface energy of the boundaries. Finally, a simple geometrical model is given for explaining the spasmodic migration of the boundaries joined to the surface, as well as the observed sudden breaking of certain grains.
KeywordsFree Surface Curve Boundary Critical Angle Boundary Migration Boundary Structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. P. Stüwe, Recrystallization of Metallic Materials, Ed. F. Haessner, Rieder-Verlag Gmbh., Stuttgart, 1978.Google Scholar
- 4.K. Lücke and H. P. Stüwe, Recovery and Recrystallization of Metals, Ed. L. Himmel, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1963, p. 171.Google Scholar
- 6.P. G. Shewmon, Diffusion in Solids, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1963.Google Scholar
- 7.P. Vitányi, Gy. Várhegyi, M. Miskei and L. Iván, Conf. of Rare Met., Ajka, 1974.Google Scholar
- 9.H. Gleiter and B. Chalmers, Progress in Material Sci., Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1972.Google Scholar
- 10.C. J. Simpson, W. C. Winegard and K. T. Aust, Grain Boundary Structure and Properties, Eds. G. A. Chadwick and D. A. Smith, Academic Press, London, 1976.Google Scholar
- 11.P. Gordon and R. A. Vandermeer, Recrystallization, Grain Growth and Texture, Ed. H. Margolin, ASM Cleveland, 1966.Google Scholar
- 12.K. T. Aust and B. Chalmers, Met. Trans.,1, 1095, 1970.Google Scholar
- 14.W. Bollmann, Crystal Defects and Crystalline Interfaces, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1970.Google Scholar
- 15.K. Sadananda and M. J. Marcinkowski, Canonical Theory of Grain Boundaries I—II, E. M. G. Report No. CXXII 1973.Google Scholar
- 21.K. Jagannadham and M. J. Marcinkowski, Crystal Lattice Def.,8, 81, 1979.Google Scholar