The influence of external electric field on f−f absorption spectrum of lithium niobate crystals doped by rare earth ions
The influence of an external electric field on the absorption spectra of LiNbO3 crystals doped by Ho3+, Er3+, Tm3+ was studied by means of sensitive modulation technique at 77 K. The linear Stark effect has been observed in spectra of these crystals. The properties of Stark effect reveal orientation of constant dipole moments of rare earth centres along the trigonal axis of crystals, which confirms their trigonalc 3-symmetry. Moreover, the linear Stark effect connected with the removal of orbital level degeneracy has been observed in spectra of crystals with impurities Ho3+ and Tm3+ in the field ɛ⊥c 3.
KeywordsLiNbO3 External Electric Field Lithium Niobate Stark Effect Lithium Niobate Crystal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yu. S. Kuzminov, Niobat i tantalat litiya, Nauka, Moskva, 1975.Google Scholar
- 2.F. Schmidt, R. Voszka, Crystal Research and Technology,16, K127, 1981.Google Scholar
- 3.A. A. Kaplyanskii, V. N. Medvedev, A. P. Skvortsov, Opt. and Spectrosc., (USA)29, 481, 1970.Google Scholar
- 6.V. S. Krivobodrov, I. I. Melnitshenko, A. P. Skvortsov, Zh. Prikl. Spektrosk., (USSR)42, 286, 1985.Google Scholar
- 9.A. A. Kaplyanskii, V. N. Medvedev, A. P. Skvortsov, Opt. and Spectrosc., (USA)36, 213, 1974;39, 437, 1975.Google Scholar
- 10.A. A. Kaplyanskii, V. N. Medvedev, A. P. Skvortsov, Sov. Phys. Solid State, (USA)17, 1578, 1975.Google Scholar