Behavior of neutrinos in stochastic magnetic fields
- 11 Downloads
If massive neutrinos possess magnetic moments, they can undergo spin flip in a magnetic field. The magnetic fields needed for a meaningful measurement of neutrino moments could be very high and may occur in astronomical objects such as some supernovae or active galactic nuclei: they are typically chaotic ones. We develop the general theory of the passage of neutrinos through such fields. We also develop a simple model which becomes solvable in the high energy limit. Both helicities occur with equal probability, independently of the initial distribution. Observational consequences are discussed.
KeywordsMagnetic Field Active Galactic Nucleus Sterile Neutrino Majorana Neutrino Dirac Spinor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.C.W. Kim and A. Pevsner,Neutrinos in Physics and Astrophysics, Harwood Academic Publishers, Chur, 1993, Ch. 11.Google Scholar
- 5.G. Domokos and S. Kovesi-Domokos, preprint hep-ph/9703265.Google Scholar
- 7.G. Domokos and S. Kovesi-Domokos, High Energy Neutrino Interactions: Single Particle Theory,J. Phys. G, to be published.Google Scholar
- 9.P. Elmfors, K. Enqvist, G. Raffelt and G. Sigl, preprint hep-ph/9703214 (1997).Google Scholar
- 10.N.G. van Kampen,Stochastic Processes in Physics and Chemistry, North Holland, Amsterdam, 1982, Ch. XIV.Google Scholar
- 11.A. Nicolaidis,Phys. Lett. B262 (1991) 303.Google Scholar